1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

LEDs for amp footswitch

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by aleclee, May 7, 2005.

1. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I want to build a footswitch for my amp's boost and channel switching. I have the TRS thing figured out but would seek wisdom on LEDs. Most of the ones I see at Rat Shack are either 2-2.5V or 12V units. Is that all that's commonly available? Like most amps, mine uses the 6V tap for the footswitch.

Should I run a 12V LED under voltage or would you suggest using resistors to drop the voltage to a 2V LED? Schems for this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
    Use the 2.5 volt one and a dropping resistor. The math goes like this...

V = voltage in volts
    I = current in amps
    R = resistance in ohms

so V=IR, or in our case the difference in the voltages, delta V, is what we'll calculate. Solving for R, we get R= delta V/I.

The power available is 6 volts, so 6-2.5 = 3.5 volts that need to be dropped. The nominal current in a typical LED is 20 milliamp, or .02 amps.

Divide the 3.5 volts by .02 amps and you get 175 ohms, so you have to have a resistor this large to keep from burning the LED out. I usually put a resistor in the 300-450 ohm range in to be safe. This resistor attaches to the anode side (+). If you look at the LED carefully, on the perimeter of the LED there will be a flat spot. The leg next to the flat spot is the cathode (-). Attach the resistive load to the other side. That's all there is to it.

Go here for schematic help.

HTH
    Slick51

3. Slick51

Thanks. I receive so much great info here, when I have info to pass on, I'm tickled to add to the info pile. :D

Slick51

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

+1. Just what I was looking for!

Thanks so much.

5. Thames

Thames Member

Ok.. If I want to install a LED in my fuzz box, which one should I go for ?

6. Slick51

I need more info...what LED? or color, size, shape?. You can use essentially any LED with less than 9 volts for the forward voltage (Vf). The resistor is what we'd have to calculate to match your choice.

HTH
    Slick51