Lee Dickson's firing situation with Clapton

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveO

Well, here's something that isn't hearsay and conjecture. Clapton's collaboration with Van Morrison on an anti lockdown song.

I've said many many times here that Clapton is my guitar hero. His personal life, well, no comment. Gawd, what a disappointment.

If you want perfection your only options are Pat Boone or Donny & Marie. The rest of us have baggage.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
it's very important to understand without clapton and his retinue of guitars that need to be restrung to concert pitch, there would be no mention of lee dickson EVER

good people do bad things / bad people do good things, what else is new?

frijoleghost

Silver Supporting Member
i have to be honest here: eric clapton and van morrison are two of my BIGGEST musical influences - i mean top 5 influences
their current attempt to push their ridiculousness in my face is just really giving me a sad feeling...i mean, why couldn't this be jeff beck and cliff richard, or someone else i have never cared about?

frijoleghost

Silver Supporting Member
One advantage of having free will is that you get to choose who and what you care about. I decided long ago that Eric Clapton was someone on whom I would never waste more than a minute’s thought.
sure, i don't have a clapton tattoo, but he influenced me greatly when i was coming up...he really hasn't interested me since 1970, but i can't deny his influence on my music

mvsr990

Bottom line, under those circumstances it is difficult to pass blame on either party because as wrong and disrespectful as Clapton may have been it was a life or death choice for him to stay sober. In the end the fact that EC is so wealthy and famous he never really hit a bottom where one loses everything. Until one rids himself of his alcoholic ego and exchanges it for a life of humility he never really get's over the illness...
These are always the most bizarre posts. The end here is written like the wrap-up to a school assignment ("in conclusion, Eric Clapton is a land of contrasts") but to whom are you telling this? Who cares about Clapton's mental state? Who is just idling the day away thinking about Eric Clapton and, uh, Lee Dickson, whoever that is?

mvsr990

I didn’t realize he joined Van’s looney bin parade in the most recent lockdown fiasco... ffs. :facepalm :messedup
Loathe as I am to semi-defend Clapton (for many reasons) but I don't think he's actually said anything about conspiracies, masks or lockdowns. He's performing a song written by Van Morrison with the proceeds going to musicians who've lost work because of the pandemic.

That's a worthy cause for a single that will sell exclusively to men over the age of 67 even if Van has gone off his rocker.

Spooky Action

Yeah, I think Clapton signed on to the Van Morrison project to draw attention to the death of live music due to the venue financial implosion.
I suppose the Van Morrison connection just spins it in a certain orbit trajectory on the internet.
I was not pleased this morning when I saw the headline, but reading a couple of articles about the project makes me think Clapton is trying to be a standup guy to gig musicians. He is almost too reticent to political. I really didn't learn much from his book except he doesn't have a lot to say about people and things that went before.

I did absolutely LOVE the scene in the Ginger Baker doc when the director told him Ginger named him as his best friend in life. He was flabbergasted and said he hardly knew the guy. I suspect he feels that way about practically everyone. He is not a connections guy.

GerryJ

Dickson's tenure w Clapton ended long after the latter's sobriety so whatever the reason it wasn't EC's alleged moodiness.
From some interviews Dickson did soon after (where he was trying other ventures, like building pickups), the termination seemed to coincide with Clapton stopping the yearly worldwide 6+month tours.
--------
For those who think working for their musical 'hero' would be cool, I had a friend way back (1970s) who did FOH sound at the top level for 3-4 yrs- Sabbath, Skynard, Fleetwood Mac. It got real stale real quick & he went on to much better (& normal) people/work/life (where I met him).

jcs

I know Lee, who is a really nice guy, and while I was playing a gig at the House of Blues in Vegas, shortly after his firing, where he was teching, he brought the situation up. My recollection was it had to do with him reselling a guitar that he had purchased from EC and EC was pissed about it. It happened after EC chose sobriety leaving him quite moody at times. I know a few of ECs close friends and they had a similar feeling on his mood changes. WE refer to that as a "dry drunk" state of mind where an alcoholic, after so many years of adopting a personality affected by a drunk state of mind, has changed to a "life on life's terms" reality and they may drift away from the true essence of the program that helped them get sober and live a more normal life. The "alcoholic mind", unless you have lived it, is not understood by most. Bottom line, under those circumstances it is difficult to pass blame on either party because as wrong and disrespectful as Clapton may have been it was a life or death choice for him to stay sober. In the end the fact that EC is so wealthy and famous he never really hit a bottom where one loses everything. Until one rids himself of his alcoholic ego and exchanges it for a life of humility he never really get's over the illness...
I know a very similar story but it involves Eddie Van Halen as the one who gifted this person some gear which was promptly sold.

I would never sell off anything from an icon unless i was desperate in which case i would contact the person who gave or sold it to me 1st if possible...thats just me!

jcs

From some interviews Dickson did soon after (where he was trying other ventures, like building pickups), the termination seemed to coincide with Clapton stopping the yearly worldwide 6+month tours.
--------
For those who think working for their musical 'hero' would be cool, I had a friend way back (1970s) who did FOH sound at the top level for 3-4 yrs- Sabbath, Skynard, Fleetwood Mac. It got real stale real quick & he went on to much better (& normal) people/work/life (where I met him).
I know a guy who worked for Michael Jackson in the 80's & 90's, the main audio engineer for live shows...he fell into it as he started out as an audiologist...told me it was a "waste of time".

JPH118

I know a guy who worked for Michael Jackson in the 80's & 90's, the main audio engineer for live shows...he fell into it as he started out as an audiologist...told me it was a "waste of time".
It all just becomes a job like any other over time. There’s generally a line you learn not to cross with most pros, whether you learn this by crossing it yourself or seeing someone else do it... Some artists are cooler with their techs than others, but at the end of the day, you’re hired to provide a service, not be a buddy. If you start believing you’re there to be more than that, it can go wrong fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics