Lee Dickson's firing situation with Clapton

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
My recollection is that Dickson got let go around the same time that Clapton pulled way back on touring. It could be as simple as realizing that you didn't need to keep a tech on retainer year round. Staff expenses add up, as many of the Classic Rock acts discovered over time.

rednoise

Loathe as I am to semi-defend Clapton (for many reasons) but I don't think he's actually said anything about conspiracies, masks or lockdowns. He's performing a song written by Van Morrison with the proceeds going to musicians who've lost work because of the pandemic.

That's a worthy cause for a single that will sell exclusively to men over the age of 67 even if Van has gone off his rocker.
Quite right. The headlines are very misleading and dishonest. From what I read, the project is in no way "anti-lockdown". It's about trying to make it through pandemic lockdowns with venues and work for musicians still intact.

pup tentacle

Gold Supporting Member
In the end the fact that EC is so wealthy and famous he never really hit a bottom where one loses everything. Until one rids himself of his alcoholic ego and exchanges it for a life of humility he never really get's over the illness...
In order for someone to "successfully recover", in your eyes, they need to hit rock bottom first, which means all fame and money must disappear for that to have a chance at happening? Interesting. I guess EC won't ever have a chance at recovery. He certainly gets enough hate on TGP to get him started, but he'll need to burn all that money to stand a chance.

dirtyguitar

Gold Supporting Member
In order for someone to "successfully recover", in your eyes, they need to hit rock bottom first, which means all fame and money must disappear for that to have a chance at happening? Interesting. I guess EC won't ever have a chance at recovery. He certainly gets enough hate on TGP to get him started, but he'll need to burn all that money to stand a chance.
“bottom” is a relative term.

and...

“ If you choose not to decide,
you still have made a choice”

BearBryan

Loathe as I am to semi-defend Clapton (for many reasons) but I don't think he's actually said anything about conspiracies, masks or lockdowns. He's performing a song written by Van Morrison with the proceeds going to musicians who've lost work because of the pandemic.

That's a worthy cause for a single that will sell exclusively to men over the age of 67 even if Van has gone off his rocker.
Welcome to 2020 where people read headlines, but not the articles, and then rage!!! :mob

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Platinum Supporting Member
I know a very similar story but it involves Eddie Van Halen as the one who gifted this person some gear which was promptly sold.

I would never sell off anything from an icon unless i was desperate in which case i would contact the person who gave or sold it to me 1st if possible...thats just me!
I was gifted some gear a couple of years ago - not by an icon, but from a friend who works closely with one.

Unless I meet with a crushing financial crisis, I'll never sell it. Just the fact that someone thought enough of me to give me gear makes it more valuable to me.

KestnerGS

Gold Supporting Member
Why the hell would someone get pissed off at Clapton for singing a song wishing **** wasn’t locked down, when 1- the CDC says things shouldn’t be locked down either, 2- he’s trying to help musicians that are completely ****ed right now when **** could be changed if at risk people just stayed home and safe, and 3- no one tried to cancel Winger for singing about banging 17 year olds or chuck berry paying hookers for the glass deuce? Just saying, :)

fenderlead

Quite right. The headlines are very misleading and dishonest. From what I read, the project is in no way "anti-lockdown". It's about trying to make it through pandemic lockdowns with venues and work for musicians still intact.
Some of the lyrics of (Van Morrison's) No More Lockdown are

“No more lockdown/No more government overreach/No more fascist bullies/Disturbing our peace/No more taking of our freedom/And our God-given rights/Pretending it’s for our safety/When it’s really to enslave.”

rednoise

“No more lockdown/No more government overreach/No more fascist bullies/Disturbing our peace/No more taking of our freedom/And our God-given rights/Pretending it’s for our safety/When it’s really to enslave.”
"No More Lockdown" is Morrison solo. The one with Clapton is called "Stand and Deliver". Its lyrics haven't been revealed yet.

Vaibhav Joshi

Everyone:
Woah! Who is this Lee Dickson guy? How dare he think he is better than Clapton.
He's on the map coz' of EC.

Also, Everone:
Yeah, Clapton was difficult to deal with; had attitude problems etc.

So... hmmm...

Sencha

Seems Clapton has had more wives than guitar techs. This Dickinson guy should be pleased he had employment for so long. Nowhere have I heard Clapton failed to pay him. So their business relationship ended. Ok.

HugoTheCat

Sounds like VanMorrison is just doing anti-establishment tunes. Not much different from the 1960’s.

Cedar

Hate?

Really?

Tommy Biggs

Gold Supporting Member
Not to dispute your understanding (the first I'd heard of it is today), there's this from Variety...

Morrison also previously released three “anti-lockdown” songs earlier this fall, including “Born to Be Free,” “As I Walked Out,” and (in case you weren’t clear on the message of the musician’s most recent work) “No More Lockdown.” Proceeds from the new single, set to drop on December 4, will go to Morrison’s Lockdown Financial Hardship Fund to benefit musicians.

I totally support his right to his own opinion, and also applaud his desire to benefit working musicians. I'm also a realist and acknowledge the importance of sacrifice for the common good.
Fame and influence don't outweigh science and 'the greater good'. IMHO.

soma

Yep it's Van that is the anti lockdown nut. Clapton is returning a favour and playing on a charity record to raise money for out of work musicians and road crew.

If you want to be pissed at modern day Eric Clapton and you don't buy that he is a racist ( I don't) look at him heading up a Countryside Alliance concert supporting the overturning of a ban of fox hunting. Which is about as disgusting as it gets and really should just be renamed 'set 100 rabid dogs on a fox'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics