Lee Ritenour

Bertiman

Supporting Member
While I've heard him here and there over the last few decades, it wasn't till I spent the last couple of days listening to some of his concerts on youtube that I realized what an absolutely fantastic musician he is. He doesn't seem to get a lot of mention here and I guess that is why I wanted to post this appreciation thread.

For your listening pleasure:

Yamaha 350

While I've heard him here and there over the last few decades, it wasn't till I spent the last couple of days listening to some of his concerts on youtube that I realized what an absolutely fantastic musician he is. He doesn't seem to get a lot of mention here and I guess that is why I wanted to post this appreciation thread.

For your listening pleasure:

I love jazz thank you for sharing.

mikebat

Ritenour is my brother in law's favorite player. He says of him, "he is the most versatile of all the smooth LA Jazz guys".

He can do pretty much everything, and seems like a pretty cool guy.

Check him out doing "Cause We Ended As Lovers" with Luke!

Bertiman

Supporting Member
Ritenour is my brother in law's favorite player. He says of him, "he is the most versatile of all the smooth LA Jazz guys".

He can do pretty much everything, and seems like a pretty cool guy.

Check him out doing "Cause We Ended As Lovers" with Luke!

Nice! He also did a less shreddy version with Mike Stern.

C-4

I first heard of Lee Rittenour, when he was just 17 yrs old, and Tommy Tedesco brought him into the LA session work scene. I saw articles in Guitar Player decades ago when this was happening.

At that time, Lee was using a 335, then some of the Wrecking Crew players started using Strats, including Tedesco, Rittenour, and others.
Back then we would follow the guitars they were switching too, along with their work.

ned7flat5

I bought his Captain Fingers album when it came out back in ‘77 - I just found out it was his third album. It was a market pretty much dominated by him, Robben Ford and Larry Carlton (as far as I could discern from 10,000 miles away). I don’t know how it stands up today, but Captain Fingers was among those handful of LPs all the Hifi stores retained to demo high-end stereo components like the pretentious sounding DCM Time Windows.

I played with a bunch of “real” jazz guys last week and to my surprise they commented that my solo sounded something like Lee Ritenour would do. I was surprised by the intended compliment (I checked...) but more so that they knew of his playing, since apart from Wes, Charlie, Joe, Django and Pat (Metheny), most guitar players don’t register with them at all!

Last edited:

Bertiman

Supporting Member
That first video is killer man! And did you catch that bass tone and solo? WOW!
I did! It was the bass that made it my first pick. Lee's playing is terrific in all the videos, but that bass is just fantastic!

johnh

He’s astonishing. I especially like his nylon string stuff. He does an album with Dave Grusin which is just fabulous - almost classical in style. Very different than my usual listening.

my favourite track out of all his stuff is “White Water” from the Portrait album. Just beautiful, fat overdriven tones in that solo.

Hari Seldon

my favourite track out of all his stuff is “White Water” from the Portrait album. Just beautiful, fat overdriven tones in that solo.
Yeah! And this is in fact a Yellowjackets track.
That's why I bought "Four Corners" and got addicted, even if there was no guitar on thet album.

Last edited:

bluescast

I bought his Captain Fingers album when it came out back in ‘77 - I just found out it was his third album. It was a market pretty much dominated by him, Robben Ford and Larry Carlton (as far as I could discern from 10,000 miles away). I don’t know how it stands up today, but Captain Fingers was among those handful of LPs all the Hifi stores retained to demo high-end stereo components like the pretentious sounding DCM Time Windows.

I played with a bunch of “real” jazz guys last week and to my surprise they commented that my solo sounded something like Lee Ritenour would do. I was surprised by the intended compliment (I checked...) but more so that they knew of his playing, since apart from Wes, Charlie, Joe, Django and Pat (Metheny), most guitar players don’t register with them at all!
If I remember correctly he played with the Mama's in the Papa's in the late 60's and the band called him Captain Fingers as a nick name. I'm not really a jazz guy but can listen to him all day and I like his tone on that cheap Yamaha Revstar too. Glad he has been mentioned.

Sammo

I used to listen a lot of GRP records when I was in school - maybe that’s why I grew this way, haha!

I think the sunbursr strat w/ Floyd Rose and EMGs He plays in Cause We Ended As Lovers video, is real 1954 Stratocaster.

Bertiman

Supporting Member
I think the sunbursr strat w/ Floyd Rose and EMGs He plays in Cause We Ended As Lovers video, is real 1954 Stratocaster.
I remember, back in the 80's, lot's of folks doing that... I bet, when some of these folks look at old photo's, it's not their hair, their spandex or even their Don Johnson jackets that make them twinge... it's that strat that they destroyed that gives them the shivers!

Trending Topics