left hand is *ucked

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Axxx, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Axxx

Axxx Member

Anyone have any tips or suggestions on hurtin' fingers and hand. I've been playing guitar for 34 years and for the last 15 years my left hand has been in bad shape.

My left thumb has been and remains dislocated now for over 10 years, my left ring finger has trigger finger, I have nerve damage in my palm, plus carpel tunnel.

You're probably thinking .. wow this dude is *ucked up. I can still play as I always did, but the pain is definetly getting worse. I've had Dr.s tell me they could operate but the risk is too great. I'd rather be able to still play in pain then not play at all if the Doc messed up.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any tips.

Also, here's some tunes I just recorded if ya want to give 'em a listen.

http://www.timarastringbenders.com/tim_wallis.html

Thanks,
    tim wallis

2. tac5

tac5 Member

Tim,
    I fractured the fifth metacarpal in my left hand about four years ago. My orthopedic surgeon chose not to pin the bone together (it was shattered in three pieces). It healed but my little finger rotated inward slightly and it affects my reach and certain fingerings. I've learned to work around it, but there are still a couple of things I cannot do (and believe me, no one notices). But, it bugs me to no end. My surgeon says he can rebreak it, pin it back in the proper alignment, and have me playing again in about two months. There is always a risk of nerve damage in any surgery of this type. But I'm considering it anyway. My decision is to seek out the best orthopod I can find to do the procedure. The fact that my own doctor knew I was a guitar player and did not realize the necessity of pinning it in place in the beginning earns him no trust from me. If the pain is getting worse, and it sounds like it certainly won't get better, I would find the very best orthopedic surgeon in the US and have him look at it. Only you can make the decision of what comes next.

3. neve1073

neve1073 Member

I had two surgeries to relieve guitar related nerve injuries on the ulnar nerve (the "funny bone" nerve). These were back in 89 and 90. I went on to gig all the time thru the '90s, but it was rough. They were not easy surgeries and I never fully recovered. I have to be very protective of the left arm around the surgery site. They transposed/moved the ulnar nerve to the inside of my arm under the skin. If some one bangs it or grabs me, I'm screwed for a few days.

I think the carpal tunnel surgery is much more routine and easier though.

Good luck

4. Hey tim,
    I enjoyed your site.
    i put it on my favorites list.
    Ill take a closer listen tonight.
    thanks for the posting
    tony

5. Fangolio

Fangolio Member

I started playing in '69 and about three years ago thought I was going to have to give it up. My right thumb feels like its dislocated (and looks like it) and the index finger on that hand was very painful. Most importantly, I could no longer make a fist with my left hand. This made it look like the end of my guitar playing.
    Then I tried Velvet Antler. Its an herbal remedy thats easy to find info on. The results so far have been amazing. I can now make a fist with my left hand and make chords that I had to give up playing. Before I started it I could no longer do barre chords and had to play cheaters. That came back to me this year. My middle finger of my left is still restricted but getting better all the time. It saved my life in regards to my playing and I swear by the stuff. My right thumb joint at the wrist still looks like hell, it won't fix looks, but it doesn't hurt anymore.
    If its arthritis you're bothered by this is the way to go as far as I'm concerned. Its a natural miracle substance I think.

6. Axxx

Axxx Member

Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate them. I got an email from a guy telling me to try WD-40 on my hands. He said it worked great for him. Anyone ever tried it before?
    Years ago, I could play 6 nights a week and never hurt, but I just come off 3 nights in a row and my left hand is swollen and not moving to good today. Maybe...... I'm just gettin too old LOL.

thanks again,
    tim wallis

http://www.timarastringbenders.com/tim_wallis.html

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Do you play any slide? If not, this might be a good time to begin. That way, even as you explore other options, you'll always have something to fall back on no matter what.

8. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Great playing on your website. Summertime is great. I can see why you don't want to risk surgery.