Left-handed Pots?

oldlefty

Just to clarify- do "left-handed" pots work "backwards", or just reverse the taper? I mean- when you turn them clockwise, do they still get louder or more treble, just at the correct rate- so the taper works properly?

And I assume that you wouldn't need a lefty linear pot since it's..uh... linear?

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
pots only work "backwards" if they're wired backwards.

lefty pots are just reversed audio taper, so that when you do wire them backwards the sweep is good. (wire a righty pot backwards and it acts like an on-off switch when it hits "0".)

and yes, linear pots sweep the same both ways.

LeftyASAT

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, walterw has it right (errr, I mean "correct"!). Sadly, (at least in my experience) many factory guitars don't bother to use true lefty tapered pots and just wire them backwards, which is awful since the taper is wrong.

Actually, I don't get the whole concept at all of making pots work backwards for us lefties. About 1/2 the lefty guitars I pick up are wired that way, and I still don't like having to keep remembering which way the particular guitar's knobs work! When I get around to it, I like to wire mine standard, and with standard (righty) pots. Just because I pick with my left hand, why would I turn a knob the other direction?? Every other electrical component I encounter uses the "clockwise = more" functionality, so why should a guitar be different?

David Collins

Actually, I don't get the whole concept at all of making pots work backwards for us lefties. ..... Every other electrical component I encounter uses the "clockwise = more" functionality, so why should a guitar be different?
I know several lefty's who prefer to stay with the conventional "clockwise=up" layout as well, but seem to find more preferring reverse taper/wiring. The reasoning can make more sense when considering common ergonomics of use.

If you grip a knob with your fingertips and turn like any other control, clockwise=up would make familiar sense. Most players use an arm motion more similar to operating a slider though, with the pinky on the back side of the knob and executing direct up or down motions for swells and fades. In this context, it can make more sense why some prefer the up motion to equal up, and the down motion down. The rotation of the knob is not conventional, but can be more intuitive in context of direction of arm movement.

Of course much depends on wah layout you learned with, and what you've become used to.

oldlefty

Thanks for the replies, but I'm thick and still a little confused. I'm a lefty, and I want my pots to work like "normal"- clockwise increases volume and/or treble. So I can just use regular pots- right (correct)? Wired just like a right-handed guitar?

I still don't get the concept of having the pots work counterclockwise (except maybe as David explained). I mean I don't look for anything else (like audio equipment- or amps) where I would expect the controls to work opposite just because I'm left-handed??

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
This is a POV situation.
Flip your guitar into RH or LH playing position and you will see how the pot orientation varies.

oldlefty

I believe AllParts now has left handed audio taper pots from CTS.
But if I'm reading the posts above correctly, they would be the correct taper if you wanted the pots to work "backwards"- right? Like counterclockwise for increased volume and treble. That would be confusing for me.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
right; if you wanted the pots to work "mirror-image" just like the rest of the guitar, you'd get lefty pots and wire them "backwards". (looking at the back of the pot, ground would be the clockwise lug while the pickups came in through the counterclockwise lug)

if you just want to turn the pots the same way you would your stereo or whatever to get louder, use regular audio taper and don't mirror-image the wiring. (ground would be the counterclockwise lug just like on a righty guitar)

jay42

Any reverse numbered knobs available?

[edit] I see that I can get left handed knobs for Gibsons all day. Having trouble finding reverse Strat knobs.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Any reverse numbered knobs available?

[edit] I see that I can get left handed knobs for Gibsons all day. Having trouble finding reverse Strat knobs.
Reverse your perception.
Think of one as the max, prime, most powerful and the others as degrees of attenuation.

teleman55

I started out years ago with righty guitars restrung upsidedown, but quickly switched to lefty guitars. Most makers just take a rh pot and switch the wires. That's a screwy setup but I'm so used to it by now that it works for me.

Trending Topics