Left-handed (reverse) wiring diagrams? Acme is closed and I'm screwed!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by thetangmang, Apr 4, 2015.

1. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

Hi all,
    I used Acme Guitarworks for all of my diagrams for a LEFTY strat using RIGHTY pots. Since they closed, I can't find ANY diagrams at all right now and I'm a bit at a loss. Reversing a right handed diagram doesn't work. Does anyone have these saved by any chance, or have something else that would be useful that I can save into my files? It would be extremely appreciated!

I wish I saved these earlier!

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

why would you want a lefty strat with righty pots?

are you a righty playing it flipped-over hendrix-style?

either way, just wire it like a regular righty strat. the switch will be on the other side of the row of pots in the diagram is all.

3. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

Thanks for chiming in, Walter. I'm a lefty who plays a lefty strat. As a compulsive player, having the taper backwards where "1" is loud and "10" is quiet just didn't work for me. Tone and volume caps with numbers reversed don't exist, plus I use RS pots and really like them. They don't come in lefty so this is where I am.

Does anyone have these diagrams, or something similar that I can use?

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

so you've just gotten used to turning the knobs the "wrong" way?

again, just use any righty strat diagram to wire up the pots.

5. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Pots are symmetric and to change rotation, you just flop the connections to the outer two lugs as you go. I wired up a left handed two pickup bass guitar a few weeks ago and did a fair amount of head scratching, but it worked. The knob thing? Just get some knobs without numbers. Tele types or custom skirted decorative. I hardly look at the numbers myself, just about never.

6. oldlefty

oldlefty Member

I'm a lefty and I hate "lefty" pots. Turn a volume pot counterclockwise to make it louder? My Gretsch is the first guitar I've had that actually has lefty pots- not a fan.

7. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member