Left my ATM card in a machine, I think

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by joe_jr, Apr 4, 2015.

1. joe_jr

joe_jr Supporting Member

I used the ATM this morning (Saturday), noticed I didn't have my card hours later.

I've left my card in a machine before, and the bank called and said they had it the next day. This time I am nervous because I won't be able to get hold of the bank until Monday.

Does anyone know if an ATM machine sucks a card back in if it's been left for a certain amount of time after a transaction? If so, I won't be as nervous.

TIA

2. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

Call NOW and report it missing. Problem solved

3. Brazen

Brazen Member

Some ATMs do suck in the card after a moment. Find out that your bank has such a machine.

My ATM doesn't require me to leave my card for transactions. It prompts me to remove it before transactions.

4. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Seems to me like most machines don't give you your money until you take your card.

5. pickdropper

pickdropper Supporting Member

These days, most machines make you re-enter your PIN for additional transactions, even on the same visit. Odds are, if somebody walked/drove up after you, they would need to know your PIN to get any of your money.

6. Beakertwang

Beakertwang Supporting Member

I did that once, and the machine kept my card. The bank destroyed the card immediately as a matter of policy. I had to order a new card, but not a new number. Minor inconvenience brought on by my own stupidity. :)

7. Brazen

Brazen Member

One time I tried to make a purchase and there was a stop on my card. I went to my bank and they told me they were compromised so they disabled the cards. Got a new card with new numbers and pin.

I'd say that's a pretty good bank.

8. JackJordan

JackJordan Member

Not if they were compromised :stir

9. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

a person still might be able to get gas with the card if they found it by simply using the local /correct zip code the card is issued to

10. jrjones

jrjones Member

That's the card, not the bank. There's a million different things that could mean from someone that works at a restaurant you ate at was stealing card numbers to someone hacking into a processing server.

OP, some ATMs take them in, others don't, it will depend on the ATM. Most newer ones I've used don't, while older ones do more commonly.

11. scottlr

scottlr Member

All of the ATMs here do not take the card inside the machine anymore. You just swipe it, and put it back in your wallet. Same with gas pumps and shopping places.

I haven't seen an ATM that takes the card inside since maybe the 90s.

12. Shreve

Shreve Katzenjammer Kid Gold Supporting Member

St. Michaels, MD. Town that fooled the British
    Pulled into an ATM on a Sunday night awhile back. Someone left their card in the slot. Took the card with the intent of turning it into the bank Mon. AM. Besides, I needed to use the machine! Just for fun, I looked up the name in our local phone book, and bingo. Called his number, and explained. He showed up at my house 30 mins. later. I gave him his card. He barely thanked me, and left. :rolleyes:

13. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

Some people just ain't raised right!

You do the guy a very large favor and he acts like you've caused him some kind of inconvenience.

Well I guess if you ever find that guys card again you know to just throw it on the ground and proceed with your business.

14. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I've never seen one at a bank that didn't...now if he left the card, someone pulled it out and got the money, he might have a problem.

I've never seen that at a bank here. They all suck it in, spit it out and you have to take it before it lets you grab the cash.

15. joe_jr

joe_jr Supporting Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I called the bank and my card was there. We still have the ATMs that suck the cards back in.

16. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

I do that crap all the time OP, up to and including the day before I guess you did. Literally remembered as I drove thru, by time I left-turned around and came back...machine had sucked the card back in. 'Round these parts, all the machines take-in the card, give you cash, ask if you want another transaction, THEN give you back your card.

17. joe_jr

joe_jr Supporting Member

Same here. The card is returned after all transactions have been completed.

18. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

So, if you say your ATMs suck, you mean it as a good thing.

19. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Member

I've found cards that were left behind.
    If I can I take it into the bank.
    They always act surprised. Like I'm confessing to stealing a card.

Oh, never thought of that!
    I run my debit as a credit so I don't put my pin in a gas station pump. Yes, zip code and you're good to go. Do gas pumps have cameras?

Many years ago, I was doing a job in Orlando, and didn't take cash. So I went to an ATM (my bank's BOA) and it sucked my card in. Gone.
    The bank was closed, and it was a holiday weekend which means I had $7 to last three days out of town.

Turns out my savings account didn't have activity for a while, so the computer kept my card. (I was accessing my checking). Needless to say I was pissed.

20. jhc

jhc Senior Member

Me too, which is a good thing, since I've done what the OP has done several times :bonk.