Lefty Lap Steel Guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pbone, Jul 3, 2008.

1. pbone

pbone Member

I'm looking to buy one. Probably less than or around 7, 800 bucks. So, first and foremost, what are some good brands that I should be looking at? Secondly, (this is probably a dumb question) are there lefty lap steel guitars, or is it just a matter of placement, etc.

2. snarkle

snarkle Member

You know, I've been collecting lap steels for 30 years and I don't think I've ever seen a factory lefty. Many, if not most, National/Airline/Supro models are essentially symmetrical and have just a straight piece of bent metal for a bridge, so I'd suggest finding one you like and having a new nut cut...with luck, you could do this for half your budget.

3. teleman55

teleman55 Member

If you find someone that makes one PLEASE!!! let me know.

4. pbone

pbone Member

5. rainmaker

rainmaker Member

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  6. Quarter

Quarter Member

Most any of the custom builders should easily be able to do a left hand lapsteel for you.
    Here is a photo shopped version of a couple of my designs as they would look as a lefty.

[​IMG]

7. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Nice work, Quarter. Is that a Dusenberg pickup on the bottom one? GFS?

8. Quarter

Quarter Member

Thanks dhdfoster ... that is a BG-Pups H90, HB sized 90 style, A II mags with a sweet open airy tone.
    I've been using quite a few of Bryans pickups lately and love the tones I'm getting with his gear.

9. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Thanks! I had an old Supro lap steel with the bowling ball wrap finish a few years ago that I still regret selling. That "P90" ish tone is the tone I love for a lap. I replaced it with a early 60s Fender, but the tone just wasn't the same. That early, raunchy non-pedal steel sound is the best. I was asking because I was wondering if that pickup was closer to that than the clear Fender sound.

I'm inspired to try to build one, now!

10. pbone

pbone Member

Those look very nice, quarter, is there a lefty version in that price range that I mentioned above? (~700)

11. Quarter

Quarter Member

dhdfoster ... P90's make a great pickup for a lapsteel, nice cleans and that raunchy bad boy attitude when you dig in.
    If you decide to build a steel yourself, I'd be happy to help if I can, building your own is a lot of fun and a very rewarding experience.

pbone ... I'll PM you and we can chat further, depending on configuration, I think we can get you in the ballpark.