• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Lefty pots - where can I find them

reallylost

Originally posted by davyped
Wouldn't reversing the wiring on the outer lugs do what you are wanting it to do?

Dave
Only if the pot is a linear taper.

If it's an audio taper, the taper will then go the wrong way.

John.

John Phillips

This is something that annoys the hell out of me every time I work on a left-handed guitar - and I'm not even left-handed. It does many of their owners too.

Someone needs to tell large companies like Fender (who make so many left-handed guitars that they could order any type of pot they like in quantity) that wiring up a right-handed Log pot backwards is not acceptable - and nor is putting a right-handed-numbered knob on it either.

Some lefties even prefer to have the pots rewired 'backwards' (ie right-handed) just to get a usable taper on them and sensible numbering.

[/rant]

reallylost

Someone needs to tell large companies like Fender (who make so many left-handed guitars that they could order any type of pot they like in quantity) that wiring up a right-handed Log pot backwards is not acceptable - and nor is putting a right-handed-numbered knob on it either.

[/rant] [/B]

Yep - I have 2 strats both wired as you describe. Far worse than if
if they used righty pots and knobs.

I'm looking for lefty pots because I want to re-wire all my guitars.
A total of nearly 20 pots in all. God knows what I'll do for knobs!

By the way, I've read many of your posts and have always been
impressed by the depth of your knowledge. Thanks for those.

John.

Tonebender

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like you want a reverse audio taper pot.

Check with small bear elecronics or mouser..........they might have it.

John Phillips

Yes, reverse audio taper is what you need - the difficulty is getting them in the correct 'guitar' form - especially with split shafts, but also with longer threaded bushings for Gibson-style guitars.

I have a thought - RS Electronics are apparently getting some new custom CTS pots, with special tapers and hopefully higher quality. Maybe it would be worth contacting them and seeing if they'd want to do a specific left-handed range too. They'd have a huge market - every lefty guitarist on the planet that wants decent pots.

The knobs are another issue - surely it can't be that hard for one of the usual suppliers to invest in a new mold or two?

Thanks for the kind words, John! I'm just a pernickerty guy who's been working on guitars and amps far too long and stored away all the little details of how things are done or go wrong (and sometimes how to fix them) :).

Turbozag

I'll take a look at the issue and pass it onto the "powers that be".

Thanks for the heads-up John.

I do know that we occasionally fabricate left-handed CTS pots from right-handed ones. But it's done by hand and is time consuming.

Hadn't thought about the knobs... I'll look into that too.

Trending Topics