Legit 1959 strat pickups??? vintage experts

jimshine

Typically they were not dated in 59. There are a few red flags I see. The bobbin edges were usually rounded a bit to eliminate snags of the coil wire. The hole for leads was also very small and it is really hard to get both cloth wires through. These appear to have the modern after market sized holes that are larger to make feeding the leads through easy for anyone.

Mojo Tone

Gold Supporting Member
Typically they were not dated in 59. There are a few red flags I see. The bobbin edges were usually rounded a bit to eliminate snags of the coil wire. The hole for leads was also very small and it is really hard to get both cloth wires through. These appear to have the modern after market sized holes that are larger to make feeding the leads through easy for anyone.
I totally agree these look fake in so many ways. Hard to know unless you really see them in hand though.

Mojo Tone

Gold Supporting Member
I hate to be so quick to judge because this poor seller may be totally legit. Its just so easy to counterfeit stuff like this to the point where any expert could be fooled. I've been doing this for 20 years and still on occasion get fooled even if I've seen them all. :huh

amstrtatnut

Id try to find a winder who will do a set for you. D Allen has a well regarded 62 set.

I just dont see a set of outrageously expensive pickups as adding that much mojo. Especially when there is NO way to verify. 2700??? are you kidding?

amstrtatnut

In other words its my opinion that those 59 aint got anything a good current winder cant do for you. YMMV IMO of course.

Jonny Hotnuts

I hate to be so quick to judge because this poor seller may be totally legit. Its just so easy to counterfeit stuff like this to the point where any expert could be fooled. I've been doing this for 20 years and still on occasion get fooled even if I've seen them all
Well said.
The seller has a really good rating and lots of transactions. It could easily be a situation where he just didnt know any better. I have been fooled and 'think' I know a thing or two!

~jh

StJimmy

Here's some pics from my early 1959 Stratocaster. I've owned it since 1976 and the electronics are original except for the ground wire going to the trem and two wires going to the jack. Maybe this will help.

zug

What kind of asshole parts out a '59 strat?
If I were sure I could get cork sniffing fools to pay $2799 for a set of pups I might just become that kind of asshole. I'll even though in some relicing for a few grand more.

I've bought pickups and parts from Kinman, Callaham and Bare Knuckles. Nice stuff. Not cheap. But nothing like tossing thousands for deteriorating vintage crap.

Jonny Hotnuts

If I were sure I could get cork sniffing fools to pay $2799 for a set of pups I might just become that kind of asshole. I'll even though in some relicing for a few grand more.

I've bought pickups and parts from Kinman, Callaham and Bare Knuckles. Nice stuff. Not cheap. But nothing like tossing thousands for deteriorating vintage crap.

Thats what I love about TGP. There are some people that understand the importance of restoring a vintage, historically significant guitar with original parts and have the financial means to do so. Typically a pre cbs strat could easily cost in excess of 30K$ so its not unreasonable to think that original pups would sell for a few grand considering the price of the guitar itself. On the other hand you have people that their financial situation does not afford the ability to acquire a vintage instrument.

I do find it funny when people, who do not own or ever played a vintage guitar can justify their inability to purchase expensive, rare and unique items by 'this is just as good'.

Well....MIM strats are fine guitars, 88 Chevy Chevettes are cars and will get you were you are going. Me personally.....I dont drive a POS and I own a 63 Strat....but then again, I have a job and the financial means to do so.

Good luck to to OP in finding a good set of vintage pups to restore his guitar.

~JH

zug

Thats what I love about TGP. There are some people that understand the importance of restoring a vintage, historically significant guitar with original parts and have the financial means to do so. Typically a pre cbs strat could easily cost in excess of 30K$ so its not unreasonable to think that original pups would sell for a few grand considering the price of the guitar itself. On the other hand you have people that their financial situation does not afford the ability to acquire a vintage instrument.

I do find it funny when people, who do not own or ever played a vintage guitar can justify their inability to purchase expensive, rare and unique items by 'this is just as good'.

Well....MIM strats are fine guitars, 88 Chevy Chevettes are cars and will get you were you are going. Me personally.....I dont drive a POS and I own a 63 Strat....but then again, I have a job and the financial means to do so.

~JH
It's not about what you say you can afford vs. what in your imagination you assume I can't afford... Try to understand that if someone disagrees with you about the relative value of a guitar, it does not follow that the reason must be jealousy or a lack of means. Similarly I will refrain from assuming that people who collect $30,000 strats are merely doing it to indulge their egos.

I guess I fail to attach the same degree of "importance" of restoring a vintage guitar that you do. Things that are old or from a certain era are not necessarily or better or even more significant than the things which come after them. Also it's not entirely possible to recreate an instrument exactly as it was 50+ years ago. Wood ages. Pickups age. Electrical circuits age. Tubes age. The EXACT sounds of vintage instruments exist mostly in our imperfect memories and imagination.

amstrtatnut

~JH
Good for you!

Honestly I dont have that kind of money. Im sure your guitar is nice but I feel there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to paying a lot for any strat. YMMV.

Eagle1

Telling a set of 25 year old Duncan's from the kindly photographed reference set is the essence of the issue. I do this for a living and sometimes you can't be definitive without provenance to back it up.

swicker

~JH

thanks dude!! yeah, i hate vintage gear getting ripped to pieces to be sold... im very happy i have this 59 strat, but it bugs me to see it not all together... thus the hunt... i actually need a full pickguard assembly from that year to make it right... well, minus 2 59 pots... it sure would be cool to get it all straight again and restore this badboy... the hunt continues

Tidewater Custom Shop

Performance Enhancing Guitarworks
Silver Supporting Member
I have a 1964 Strat that I will restore to it's former glory in full. So far I have all 'era correct' parts except the plastic bits, vibrato base plate, tuners, and pots. I've been working on this project, a TRUE vintage partscaster, for over a year now and will continue until those aforementioned parts are acquired. Will they make it sound better? Will they make it play better? Will they increase the value? No, no, and yes.

In my mind, there are multiple tiers of collectability for desirable vintage guitars. Of course, each tier has a value associated to it, and the value is completely subjective. Famous players and other provenance play into the value.

Anyway, I submit the following pictures of what I believe to be era-correct for the period just before the late 1964 gray bottom Stratocaster pickups, and that I deem suitable for my resto project. These came from a friend's dad's 1961 Strat. The dad replaced these in the late '70s when he had is guitar routed for double humbuckers. These pickups sat in his parts box until 2011 when I acquired them to offset a trade balance. Here they are in process of being wired into contemporary CTS 250K pots and a NOS era correct 3-way CRL switch.

Trending Topics