Legit Suhr??? Update

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Pat6969, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Hired Goon

Hired Goon Supporting Member

Saw that on Edmonton Kijiji. Be interested to hear your thoughts when you get it. Still trying to figure out my custom order.

Just a general Suhr question, with a custom order, I can select the wood type, but I can't actually choose or see the actual pieces of wood that will be used?

2. Pat6969

Pat6969 Member

Ya, got a decent deal so thought I'd snag it and give it a go. I'm Strat shy as of late. Can't find one I like so this was a good time to try a Suhr for a good price.

3. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

The problem with Custom selection of wood is much of it gets scrapped as problems surface during manufacturing. Kind of like you cut through a perfect tomatoe only to find a worm inside. It is usually better just to specify the type and let us handle it from there. But yes, we offer customer select wood. Obviously there are upcharges.

4. Hired Goon

Gotcha. Is it possible to send a picture to the custom shop of an example of something I'm after as a guideline?

As for the counterfeit stuff I always wondered if Chinese authorities even cared about it going on. I was talking to a fellow yesterday though, who does a **** ton of business in China. He goes to these super-malls which are like 10 stories high, and he says they do actually crack down. Often he will see stores that are closed with big posters on the front window indicating the business was dealing in counterfeit. Maybe there's hope.

5. Pat6969

Pat6969 Member

@Husky
    For the record (before I go back to the seller) there's no way that guitar came with that pickguard?

6. Husky

Reach out to CS at Suhr.com. Maybe with a picture of what you are looking for. Yeah I have Chinese trademarks but the pain is for the little guy who doesn’t want to do a trademark in every country.
    I guess it means I’ve made it to a point.

ur2funky, coldengray and Hired Goon like this.
  7. Husky

I don’t know if it had a cover and it was removed or if he tried to install a pickup with a cover and enlarged the hole. But you can see the corners have a small radius (unless my eyes are playing tricks but the pics could be more clear) which would be for a pickup with a cover. It should state on the spec sheet what it was originally.

8. Hired Goon

Do you know what pickups are in it?

9. Pat6969

Pat6969 Member

Was that an option on that model to come with a covered pickup?

10. Pat6969

Pat6969 Member

I won't have it until Wednesday but they're suppose to be the stock SSC single coils and Thornbucker.

11. Madguitrst

Madguitrst Member

third stone from the sun, one step from the edge
    Anyone can find that guitar, by doing a simple Google search, and buy it out from under you.

OP, why in the world would you contact anyone but Suhr first (and last)?

12. Pat6969

Pat6969 Member

Doubtful since I already bought it.

MassProducedDreamer and Husky like this.
  13. superstratjunky

superstratjunky Member

Give us an update when you get it.:aok

14. Pat6969

Pat6969 Member

Will do. Pretty excited since I like Strat style guitars. Hope it's a keeper.

56Tweed likes this.
  15. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

My great out of this world ultra fine taste makes it ugly for me. :)

I love Suhr guitars, I don't like the green on this one.

17. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

The Pro Series are great. I bought one when they first came out. It is the one guitar I still have remorse from selling.

Here was mine

[​IMG]

18. Pat6969

Pat6969 Member

Well, got the guitar today and had about an hour to put it through it's paces. Beautifully built guitar. Frets are level, action is low, no buzz, pickups (without SSC) are dead quiet, trem is stable. All round it's a beauty, whether it's a keeper of not will remain to be seen, I'll need about a week with it. The last owner had a covered pickup installed and altered the original guard to accommodate that. Me being anal about things like that inquired to Suhr about a new stock pickguard, LOL! By the time it get's to me in Canada I'm looking at $150 ($55 PG $60 shipping > Conversion = $150)!!!!! For a pickguard? WOW!! Since Suhr is now pretty popular, might be time to offer a few of those items at an affordable price. I mean, $150????? For a pickguard. Anyway, at that price I'll have to live with the PG the way it is. Thanks for the input guys. It's an impressively built guitar.

19. Pat6969

Pat6969 Member

More playing time. Bridge pickup wasn't doing it for me, very focused in the high mids, that is until I found a thread that Suhr himself replied to about the SSV bridge pickup. He said to raise it up to the strings. WOW, what a difference, it just woke this pickup up big time! Introduced more low end and evened things out significantly. I'll get this thing yet!!

sedawkgrep likes this.
  20. Husky

Well in all fairness the shipping is more than the pickguard. Not something we have control over ;-)

You could try a SSH + with a cover.
    Then it will fit.

Bobby D and StuartMac like this.