Lehle Little Dual ABY hum?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FAC, Aug 18, 2008.

1. FAC

FAC Member

Hi Folks,

I recently traded in my Framptone 3-banger for a Lehle Little Dual** ABY box.

Two weird things are happening since I added the Lehle (sorry in advance if this sounds long and complicated):

1. When one amp is selected, the other hums. This never happened with my Framptone. I have:
    -changed all the cables around
    -isolated it from the pedal board (so it's just Guitar-->Lehle-->amps)
    -disconnected the power to the Lehle
    -played with the ground and phase switches
    -put a 2 prong AC cheater on the amps (not permanently, just as a test)
    and the hum is still there.

What is up with that? It is transformer isolated, so I thought hum should not be a problem?

2. Weird interaction with my SoleMate reverb unit. Here is the signal chain: Guitar-->SoleMate-->Lehle-->Amps. All cables were known to be good. Normal operation when A is selected. Weird interaction with SoleMate when B is selected...it sounds almost like the reverb springs are doing some kind of low octave thing when I play a note...not good. If I switch the amps around, the problem stays with output B, regardless of which amp is hooked to output B. The SoleMate uses a 12V AC wall wart, if that matters....I even tried flipping the wall wart around, to no avail.

None of this happened with my Framptone. Could the Lehle be defective? I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks!

**I never used the Framptone's three amp capabilities, and it was taking up too much real estate on the pedal board. I really liked the Framptone with my old setup, but since I switched to a Reeves Custom 50, I can really hear details a lot more, and the Framptone was doing something funny to the upper mids (shakti was right)...it was great with my old setup, though.

I run what could be called a David and Goliath setup: A Reeves Custom 50--the epitome of clean--and a Victoria 20112--the epitome of not clean...most of the sound comes from the Reeves+pedals, but I like to add in the 5E3, cranked/mic'd, from time to time. Funny, I know, but I like it.

2. shakti

shakti Member

That sounds very strange. Maybe Burkhard himself will chime in, he lurks here occasionally.

What are you using to power the Lehle? Is it possible that the power supply is badly grounded or is making a ground loop with the amp somehow?

3. FAC

FAC Member

First, I plugged it into my PedalPower II. Then, I tried it without plugging it into power. Same problem. I do have a OneSpot lurking around...I'll try that.

Edit: OK, tried that. Did not work. However, I misspoke earlier...the reverb thing happens with output A, not B.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  4. FAC

FAC Member

Folks, Burkhard Lehle himself e-mailed me and we are trying to work it out! I'll post an update as soon as we figure it out.
    Great Service from Lehle!

5. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

Lehle is great stuff..I've got a 1@3 and it is perfect for the 3 amp rig.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

does that pedal short the unused output to ground? if not, the unselected amp will still have an open input, causing the same noise as if you had a cable into the amp with no guitar plugged in.

7. FAC

FAC Member

I'm not sure, but this seems like something to avoid when constructing a high-end ABY box...is there a way I could measure this with a meter?