Lehle Sunday Driver - buffer/boost/preamp for guitar/bass/mic

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by timmerel, Dec 23, 2009.

1. timmerel

timmerel Member

I've waxed lyrical about the Lehle Sunday Driver before, but have now picked up a second one as I've found it so useful. The difference it makes to the quality of the tone is such that I prefer it to going direct into the amp. It enables instruments to sound like themselves even more than they do direct, and my true bypass pedal run is now completely transparent when in bypass.

The ways I'm using it are:

- clean to maximise guitar tone to the amp. To my ears my guitar sounds better than guitar-cable-amp has ever sounded. The best way I can describe it is that as well as the tone of the instrument coming through more clearly, playing amplified now has the same feel as it does unamplified. I've always loved the feel from playing resonant electric guitars unamplified, which can get lost through an amp. I can now concentrate more on the playing rather than the gear
    - dirty clean guitar without any colouration. I have tried all the great transparent overdrives I could find, but they all seemed to take something away from the core tone to my ears. The boost on the Sunday Driver enables a dirty clean by pushing my amp without any colouration, giving the sound I was looking for
    - as a bass preamp with a passive bass or mic preamp when using the guitar amp as a mini PA, using the boost to match signal levels with clean or overdriven guitar. The Sunday mode also works very well to enable all the detail and some nice additional warmth to come through on both bass and harmonica/vocals through a guitar amp. I know this isn't what the pedal was designed for originally, but it works for me

Burkhard makes lots of nice switching gear for which he is known, but this buffer/boost is very much a secret tone weapon for me. To my great surprise, it seems to have ended GAS for other tone enhancers, and my pedalboard is now complete. I guess I'll need to focus more on music now!

2. timmerel

timmerel Member

I've been using it more as a bass preamp in the last few days, and it's pulling detail out I've never heard before. Brilliant!

3. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

Can you tell us a little more about how you're using it with your guitar setup. For example, first or last in effects chain and are you using the "S" Sunday or "D" Driver setting and is there a noticeable difference in tone? I believe the "S" setting multiples the output, if I'm not mistaken.

4. timmerel

timmerel Member

My chain is Guitar>Cable>Lehle SD>Several True Bypass Pedals>Amp. With Bass it's just Bass>Cable>Lehle SD>Amp. This gives me an even clearer tone than I get going direct with no pedals, so I always use it. I'm using a very clean EL84 based guitar amp, so the extra clarity really works for me. The boost helps too, especially for dirty clean tones.

I generally use the D setting (which sounds like going direct but clearer), although for bass or microphone I sometimes use the S for the slightly warmer sound when using the boost function. The S setting definitely reveals more detail than I've ever heard, but I find that that the D setting is most like my core tone, so that's what I prefer generally.

I was looking for no tone suck with true bypass pedals when I got the SD, which it delivers in spades.

I hope that helps.