Lenny faking it at the Jets halftime show?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by RockDC, Nov 22, 2012.

1. RockDC

RockDC Member

He broke a string and then ripped out a great solo?!? His vocal was also stellar even when he backed away from the mic... Hmmm

I'm skeptical.

2. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I saw this, too. Every time I break a string on my electric, it goes out of tune. ( I play Gibsons, too)
    If his performance was not "enhanced" it was pretty good.

3. The Illustrated Bassist

The Illustrated Bassist Member

Um, he wasn't playing for a lot of both songs yet it sounded like TWO guitars were playing the entire time.

4. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

I like Lenny, but that's lame. (Note the alliteration.)

5. Count_Chocolat

Count_Chocolat Member

Getting really tired of all these fake performances!:bitch

6. DrSax

DrSax Member

anything is better than watching the Jets perform

7. RussTKD

RussTKD Member

Hint: All those shows are faked.

We did our drum solo for the Superbowl XXIV Halftime show the night before the game outside the loading area for the Superdome.

8. danonbass

danonbass Member

Yep. It's actually very difficult to play a halftime show. They're all click tracked and the important lead lines and vocal parts are imbedded. It's to easy to have something technical (or personal lol) go wrong and ruin a 10 minute show.

9. RussTKD

RussTKD Member

They told us they needed clean audio to push out to the TV feed, and that's why they did it.

Also they needed to get the music synced with the animation overlays (Charlie Brown & Co.), but those ended up off by about a second.

All in all, it was still a cool experience to be a part of a production like that, even if all I did was play cymbals.

The bad part was missing the game. We got to the dome at about the end of the first quarter, lined up in the service alley behind the stage and I had to try to watch some of the game through an opening about 6 feet wide.

10. Timmo

Timmo Member

We were all cracking up at his 'rippin' solo' with broken strings......that was indeed pretty funny watching him acting all bad ass and such.

:jo:rotflmao

I bet he's getting some grief tonight......:bonk

11. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

As stated above, 99.9% of those performances are lip-synched/mimed.

Too much can go wrong in the seconds, maybe minutes, they have to pull those things together to risk going live.

Sad, but true.

At least it was Lenny (with a badassed guitar) instead of some crappy, worthless boy band BS.

12. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Soon they'll apply the same logic to the "sporting entertainment" that bookends the half-time show...

13. Chops

Chops Gold Supporting Member

Yeah; the Jets were faking it all night.

14. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I didn't see it and I have no doubt it was sync'd, but I've seen guys rip solo's with a broken string before. I've done it myself too.

Funny, it's acceptable now, but this kind of stuff (canned tracks)would have been labeled Milli Vanilli cheating back in the day.

15. Lukeling

Lukeling Member

I had to google who Lenny was- I figured it was Kravitz but :dunno

16. THebert

THebert Member

I agree there are lots of things that seem to be acceptable today that would have been called out earlier. Not just music, either. Times are changing.

17. fwguitar

fwguitar Member

Who do you play with?

18. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Kenney Chesney played at halftime for the other game and he was singing live.

I could tell because his vocals were pretty bad.

(insert obvious joke here)

19. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Member

How better would you have handled that situation??

Live TV is a bitch. I've worked in the field for years. So many thousands of cooks in the kitchen, so much outside (as well as inside) pressure, so un-gawdly technical, so enormously prone to some little detail that was left out and ultimately causes a train-wreck and indeed the list of mind-fields surprises is longer than anyone (including those involved in the production itself) can ever anticipate. All filtering down to a per-purchased satellite feed which if missed results in a **** load of folks looking for a new job. I remember one of my first years and years ago and glancing over to see a PC (so riddled with panic and fear) throwing-up in a garbage can.

Knowing the utter and endless professionals who literally put their jobs on the line every time one of these "live" feeds is produced I have a difficult time sitting back on my couch and judging.

I guess you could do a Neil Young and claim "sell-out" for agreeing to do a lip-sync show in the first place. Past that however everyone involved with a production that massive usually does "whatever it takes" to get to the other side.

20. Timmo

Timmo Member

Well, you are right up to a point however, if that much can go wrong with PC's and phony performances, go back to the basics and FREAKIN PERFORM LIVE!
    You know, like groups USED TO DO!
    Get a PA and mike up the amps and GO.......:dunno

Sorry but when 'faking it' goes wrong it looks ridiculous and don't blame me if we are laughing our butts off....... :rotflmao