Lenny faking it at the Jets halftime show?

We did two Christmas TV performances this last week. We pre-recorded ourselves playing the songs in a live setting and "lip synced" to our own track. Vocals were live. Lot of folks doing that these days.
Makes things a lot safer. We've also done it totally live many times. Mix is hit or miss. Usually not allowed to use your own sound guy to mix.
I don't understand. Where is it Xmas? Have I been asleep that long?

Unless they went out live it's absurd to pre-record part of your recording.....

3 Mile Stone

Silver Supporting Member
As stated above, 99.9% of those performances are lip-synched/mimed.

Too much can go wrong in the seconds, maybe minutes, they have to pull those things together to risk going live.

Sad, but true.

At least it was Lenny (with a badassed guitar) instead of some crappy, worthless boy band BS.

Exactly ... when this this stop surprising people. It's not a performance ... its and appearance.

aynirar27

Notable Member
Gold Supporting Member
How better would you have handled that situation??

Live TV is a bitch. I've worked in the field for years. So many thousands of cooks in the kitchen, so much outside (as well as inside) pressure, so un-gawdly technical, so enormously prone to some little detail that was left out and ultimately causes a train-wreck and indeed the list of mind-fields surprises is longer than anyone (including those involved in the production itself) can ever anticipate. All filtering down to a per-purchased satellite feed which if missed results in a **** load of folks looking for a new job. I remember one of my first years and years ago and glancing over to see a PC (so riddled with panic and fear) throwing-up in a garbage can.

Knowing the utter and endless professionals who literally put their jobs on the line every time one of these "live" feeds is produced I have a difficult time sitting back on my couch and judging.

I guess you could do a Neil Young and claim "sell-out" for agreeing to do a lip-sync show in the first place. Past that however everyone involved with a production that massive usually does "whatever it takes" to get to the other side.
out of curiosity, how does recording the actual audio of the band differ for live tv and say a concert. I understand there's the cameras and satellites and everything else, but soup to nuts, is getting the sound from the the band to the board any different? it seems like all the pressure and complexity's have to do with everything but the music.

no1yuno

Supporting Member
I don't understand. Where is it Xmas? Have I been asleep that long?

Unless they went out live it's absurd to pre-record part of your recording.....
One was a TAPING for NBC for the lighting of the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center.
It will be on TV Nov. 28th. The other was a live event in Atlanta on Thanksgiving night.
Because of logistics we couldn't actually play live. We recorded ourselves playing the songs in a live setting while we were out on the road last month and played along to our own track.

jmoose

out of curiosity, how does recording the actual audio of the band differ for live tv and say a concert. I understand there's the cameras and satellites and everything else, but soup to nuts, is getting the sound from the the band to the board any different? it seems like all the pressure and complexity's have to do with everything but the music.

Mics typically get split 4-ways...

Feed to the monitor desk for musicians onstage - FOH mix for the stadium - remote truck/flypacks for the music broadcast mix - and that usually feeds the actual "master" broadcast truck

Typically there's some redundancy among those. Most of the trucks I work on, we'll take the FOH mix on two channels in case we (music broadcast) get cut off for whatever reasons.

Honestly I had a house full of people but Lenny's deal seemed live to me.

For one the mix wasn't that great. Vocals were kinda "off" in spots... as was the bass player. The drummer looked dead on with what I was actually hearing.

Now Kid Rock at the Lions game was phoned in. Dead giveaway? Guitars weren't plugged in and drummer was really random... playing straight beats when audio had fills.

RockDC

Mics typically get split 4-ways...
Honestly I had a house full of people but Lenny's deal seemed live to me.

For one the mix wasn't that great. Vocals were kinda "off" in spots... as was the bass player. The drummer looked dead on with what I was actually hearing.
The vocals were the best part... The mix was only bad for the trebly tone. He played 10 minutes probably 6 or 7 of them with a broken string.

Someone mentioned Kenny Chesney and his halftime show... His guitar is never turned on so obviously it may or may not have had tracks.

radiohead625

It's getting ridiculous.. I mean how long until the concerts we go are all prerecorded? I mean seriously, let's just put the musicians up on stage and have them stand there while their cd plays.:bitch

cmatthes

It's getting ridiculous.. I mean how long until the concerts we go are all prerecorded? I mean seriously, let's just put the musicians up on stage and have them stand there while their cd plays.:bitch
Get with the times, man.

Nobody uses CDs anymore!

AB07302

Haven't seen the video, but I was fortunate to be on the field for the performance. I was unfortunate to be a Jet fan at the game. Anyway, they wheeled the gear out and threw him up on stage in 2 minutes. No time to tune up or anything. Would have been impossible for them to do that for real.

BuddyGuit

Silver Supporting Member
I think most who haven't had the experience don't understand what's really involved and the perils of live tv. Especially on a national scale. For years there have been "TV track" mixes. Go back as far as Buddy Holley for the rock genre. I know some have been live. I'll betcha some of that has to do with the influence of the act. If Paul McCartney wants to go live I'll bet he has more pull than if Lenny says he wants to go live.

Trending Topics