Lenny Kravitz Amp Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gtrfinder, Jun 5, 2008.

1. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

I remember this came up awhile back when someone posted some pics of a backline of Fender amps from a Lenny Kravitz show.

From a really interesting foreign site with detailed rig info from professional musicians.
    Lenny Kravitz Rig
    Scroll down a bit and you'll see some pics and a rundown of the gear used.
    It appears there is some interesting amp and cab routing being done. Take a look at those SF Fenders in the rack, and the old Tweed Deluxe.
    Just thought it might be worth a look.

2. customstrat

customstrat Member

Nice. Listen to the latest MTV Unplugged. Those are some of the best clean tones I ever heard. Mainly through some old Fender Tweed.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  3. Structo

Structo Member

I guess I always assumed he used a Marshall type amp because of his crunchy tone.
    Like that song Fly Away.
    I think he has one of the best sounding rhythm tones going.

4. gtrfinder

Well he does in fact use a Marshall amp according to the website. He has a Plexi of some sort driving a 4x12 with Greenbacks. Though he has a number of Menatone pedals that emulate the sound of a good Marshall.
    I have a feeling that in the studio it is mostly vintage gear, but as to specifics I'm not sure.

5. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

When I saw him live a few years ago, he and Craig Ross had awesome tone. What they have going on is definitely one of the vibes that I try to capture as well.

6. Peppy

Peppy Member

Then at one point they had a wall of VOXEN...never really know sometimes.

7. katarzis

katarzis Member

where can i see this show?
    i saw it on TV but i don't find a DVD...

8. spookybonus

spookybonus Member

from the page..."What is clear from the list above is that his rig is MASSIVE! He doesn't do any of the effect switching, his guitar tech does all that stuff, and Len himself admits not knowing what stompboxes he's using!" ...wow, does his tech wipe his ass too?

9. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I have seen Lenny live, and I have to admit he keeps it pretty basic - so whoever does his switching, it not like it is rocket science. That's what I like about his sound. Craig does the juicy bits, and now he uses backing tracks, which is an accepted medium - so all the sounds are taken care of.

Even when I saw him with a wall of Vox, I heard he was using Fender Dual Showman and Showman behind some of the stacks. At least I heard Craig was. Who knows. I am NOT questioning his integrity, but I am sure it was in there or mixed in. It sounded like it!

I have seen video of him with the crunchy Marshall tone, like Live From Planet Earth, and it didn't sound nearly as sweet as all the filmed stuff where he clearly had Fender gear and pedals. given Jimmy Page, Pete Townshend and the many players who likely mic'd Fenders in the studio to get the sounds we "THINK" are big stacks - it kinda makes you think yummmmmmmmmmm old Fenders!

You know speaking of small combos - a lot of producers like Bob Rock actually favor them to get big tones when recording.

10. MarcFord

MarcFord Senior Member

tweed, tweed and more tweed... low powered and cranked... mic'd backstage and some iso boxed... those wall of vox are for show as were the wall of fenders he used years ago... marshall/fender amps are the primary amps.

11. Smü

Smü Member

Just because he get's the money for a photoshoot doesn't mean he is about to really use it, don't you think?

12. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Theres an interview in the newest edition of UK Guitarist where he details a bit of his gear - two old Marshalls, and a small fender combo, a Goldtop 56 LP - thats the majority of the studio stuff apparently.

Sounds like he has an incredible collection of stuff. Craig Ross is ubercool - LP Customs with P-90's! :AOK

13. customstrat

customstrat Member

I don't know if its on a DVD. I just saw it on MHD on the dish. Awesome sounds.

14. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

When I saw him last year in SF he had a wall of Fender Cyber amps behind him. No Vox or Marshall or tweed amps to be found.

Sounded good though.

-Tim

15. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I try not to question someone's integrity with endorsements without real proof. Though I must admit, I know it happens.

16. gtrfinder

I'm not sure if it is an endorsement issue or not. I'm not going to go there.
    Who knows? Perhaps they want to present a very clean and tidy stage.
    If you look at what the amp setups look like backstage it kind of appears like a giant "catch all" full of amps and effects drawers.
    Or maybe it is easier to mic everything and isolate it from behind or beneath the drums.

17. Smü

Smü Member

Ou, sir. I have had the pleasure of meeting some folks from "that thar bizness" and since then I doubt any endorsement ad in any mag or somewhere else. The bigger the star, the more the endorsement is a means of selling more products. Which is okay for me, it is, after all, advertisement.

And I happened to cross ways with a marketing guy more into the biz. I don't say that is was all about the money, but it was far less about the sound.