Lenny Kravitz/Craig Ross amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hand of Doom, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

I saw Lenny Monday night and he had a wall of Fender amps behind him. I am not sure what they are. They look like blackface Bassman or Bandmaster heads. Black tolex with gold name plates, gold sparkle grill cloth and black face plates.
    One channel amp with two inputs and 7 knobs.

I got right up to the stage but couldn’t read what the words on the face plates read. Looked like “Two R_k_” or “The R_h_”

Anyone know what these amps are?

2. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

3. robbieboyette

robbieboyette Member

I saw his show recently opening for Aerosmith. And yes he has a wall of what appear to be Fender Amps all the way across. But it sure wasn't a Fender amp sound out front (not that there's anything wrong with Fender amp sounds).
    No, out front was some of the best fat guitar overdrive sounds that I've heard in a concert venue. My theory is that he has Bogner Amps or else amps modified by Bogner inside those head shells.
    He and his other guitarist just had the best sound that night. Completely articulate and yet sustain for DAYS. Reminded me of the way my Bogner Ecstasy Classic sounds. That same kind of articulation and sustain without farting out.
    Matter of fact, he had a better overall sound than Aerosmith did. Which is a first for an opening act!
    I don't mean he was "better". I just mean everything sounded better through the P.A. From the kick drum to the vocals to the guitars. Just nice and tight. Plus they played and sang their asses off.

4. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

The band sound WAS nice…I did notice that Lenny stepped on something to get some drive at one point. He had switched guitars and started a song. The tone was clean and low in vol. He stepped on something and got the grind. I thought that Ross had the better tone, although he was using the same amps. When he plugged into a Tele his tone was what I would consider THE rock tone.

It may have been Two Rock but it looked like R_k_. The amps had Fender on them here is a pic…

oh and Brad from Asmith had some good tone from the /by 13 amps…..what was Joe Perry playing through?

[​IMG]

5. robbieboyette

robbieboyette Member

When I saw them it looked like Joe Perry was playing through a marshall. But he changed guitars so many times that his tone varied wildly. A couple of times he had a decent thick tone...but a lot of the guitars he dragged out were more "show" than "go" and ended up sounding kinda thin and nasty. But it didn't really matter...Joe absolutely LOOKS like a guitar player. He took Keith Richards look circa 1972 and perfected it into THE definitive rock-n-roll guitar player look. So he can be excused for any problems in tone. Besides, I'd rather look cool and sound a little thin like Joe, than look 100 years old and sound great like Brad! LOL! :)

6. nwright

nwright Guest

are you referencing those Ashdowns in the pic? If so, I'm pretty sure those are bass amps...Besides that, there are mics on those Fender cabs...Are they for show? Are the cabs one off's like the Roxie headshells? Those cabs are massive...

7. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

thanks

What ever Ross was using sure sounded good.

I know Joe had Marshall 4x12 bottoms, but he had 2 amp chasisses without boxes ontop of the cabs.

8. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

Lenny is using Divided by 13 and Marshall HW18 amps on this tour. The Fenders are just a backline.

9. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I toured with Lenny for a couple weeks last may (we were opening for them in Spain). Both he and his guitarist had KILLER rigs, Lenny's consisted of a couple marshall smallbox heads (probably early 70's 50 watters), a couple fender blackface heads (bandmasters or showmans, can't remember which)... a couple little tweed amps, and then a bunch of pedals in a big rack on drawers using a switching system and some rack stuff too, with rack power amps (probably some wet/dry stuff going on). The Fender stuff onstage was just for show.

Fred at / 13 recently built them some insane amount of amps (I think it was like 26 or something, 2 of every model he makes)... I was at his shop when he was trying to get them all done, big job! Fred sent out his newsletter recently and there's pics of Lenny's guitarist in it, it looks as though he's replaced everything with /13 amps! Maybe Lenny's done the same..

Anyway, Lenny is great, very gracious and a great musician, he really rocked every night. He's a pro and a great guitarist.

10. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Yeah he has some little Marshalls and /13 amps. They are all hooked up to a Bradshaw, so thats what he was stepping on.

11. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Ahhh...rock-n-roll. Puttin' the 'Show' in Show Business!
    So what's the point of even having a power cord draped out the back of the head?

12. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

You guys are just like me and my brother. We went to Greensboro NC. We wondered what the Fenders were. We were like "that is the coolest backline of any backup band." We, too, went behind the stage to look at Aero's gear. We saw about eight Marshalls in a rack one on top of the other on the side of the stage. Don't know who used them. Joe had plexi glass over some chasis and one I think just out in the open. Don't let OSHA see that. Brad had two 13 37s and one 13 915 with three 2x12 cabs to go with it. He had one 4x12 Bogner cab. Joe had count em 8 4x12 Marshall heads. I saw an old Marshall 4 input head, one Tone Master head. Joe broke out with a cool ass semi hollow double cut amber color Gibson maybe a 336 or 335. He favored the Billie Lucile a lot. Brad had what I believe to be regular production model R8, R9s. He had one SG body with one P90 which didn't cut through on Sweet Emotion. Brad overall killed. He held a not at the end of Seasons of Wither that was possibly Trower worthy. Lenny is OK but there is nothing hard about his bar chord basic rock. He did play cool guitars as did his guitarise who used, SG, 52 re tele, firebird studio. O yea, Joe had what I believe to be one Asserlando 1x12 on top of rig. I saw one Ashdown monitor at front of stage. Hey Jason were you in Greensboro? We stopped by Eddie Bermans on the way.

13. davebc

davebc Member

Lenny's Bass player has been my best friend for about 25 years, and one of the best players in the industry.
    We are always having extensive conversations about gear and gear changes throughout the years/tours.
    The Fender looking amps on this tour are entirely for visual appeal.
    Craig has always used a variety of amps on stage, his most favorite possible being a Fender Showman which was rewired by Howard Dumble. His Lester is loaded with paf's, and just for the record his Tele is the lightest I've ever felt, like a piece of balsa wood. Craig's tone is exceptional this year, really in your face, and he's playing better than ever.
    After hearing McCartney's band, they did take delivery on a gang of /13 amps, the el34 models being the favorites.

Jack attempted to explain Joe Perry's set-up to me, where he's basically trying to mike the sound of his favorite small studio amp through his Marshall(major?). I have to be honest, it was a bit convoluted for me to get a full grasp on. This being miked through this, into that, into the system, crazy ****.

14. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

Craig Ross is one of my favorite guitar players. He, Gary Louris from the Jayhawks, Mike Campell, and Doyle Bramhall are my other fav's. I hope to see Lenny on the new tour. I wonder when he's coming through Seattle? I saw him once in New Orleans on the Are You Gonna Go My Way tour. It was a great show, just like it must have been in the late 60's/early 70's. There was no stage backdrop with video screens or anything. A stage, white lights, and some cranked tube amps. I was really impressed by Craig's playing live. VERY nice stuff!

15. davebc

davebc Member

Both Craig and Jack Daley are imo, two of the most underrated players performing/recording today; and two of the nicest, modest, unassuming guys you'll ever meet, total pros first and formost.

16. TeleTubby

TeleTubby Supporting Member

Tyler, here you go, the "local" show. Not sure what kind of tickets are left, but I did notice that the tour is coming back to Vancouver, BC, in April and doesn't go on sale until Monday morning- you can get in line right behind me.:BEER

17. BobboVisMe

BobboVisMe Member

I saw Aerosmith and Lenny K ... 3 times in my area and they both had amazing tone ! While I liked both bands and consider Perry and Whitford's sound to be the benchmark of classic rock !! I couldn't get over how good Craig Ross sounded on every night !! His tone is kind of NEW-RETRO Anyone know what kind of Fuzz he uses ??????????? :RoCkIn

18. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Nothin' new. Kiss had all sorts of empty cabs, and did Brian May's 16 or so AC30's all really work? And aren't ACDC's onstage Marshalls essentially dummies too?

Guitar Wolf had a wall of Marshalls, which usually weren't on or were empty. Crappy little Fender deluxe or something behind the stacks. Hahaha. Of course, Guitar Wolf is the best.

Who cares, it's a big rock show and you impress people!

19. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I am intrigued that Lenny is into /13

I jammed with a guy who had /13's in this band - it sounded AMAZING. I can tell you, playing rhythm for him was fun, let alone taking leads against it!

I have to be honest though, I have yet to hear better gain tones than a properly done 50w or 100w vintage Marshall. I just hate them for lack of versatility. The /13 had great clean tones. Wish I knew which one it was!

20. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

What's Asserlando? :rolleyes: