• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Lenny SRV tone suggestions

kazukun

This is what I got. Sorry for the sloppy playing:

I'm pretty satisfied with this, but I feel like it's missing a small detail (other than the playing) Basically, I want it a little warmer/smoother sounding without sacrificing too much treble. Does a compressor help? Maybe my string gauge is too light (10.5-48)

DHC

Digging it!

The original track has really clean and glassy tones, so suggest rolling back that volume knob on your guitar. I have it about 6 or 7 and start off with pickup position 4.

Later on in the song when he starts to get gnarly (3 minutes, 6 seconds in), he'll switch to the neck pickup ... I do that and turn up the volume knob ever so slightly.

The ending is righteous when he hits the 12th fret harmonic (still with the neck pickup engaged) and then hits the 5th fret harmonic while quickly switching to position #2.

rwijaya

Digging it!

The original track has really clean and glassy tones, so suggest rolling back that volume knob on your guitar. I have it about 6 or 7 and start off with pickup position 4.

Later on in the song when he starts to get gnarly (3 minutes, 6 seconds in), he'll switch to the neck pickup ... I do that and turn up the volume knob ever so slightly.

The ending is righteous when he hits the 12th fret harmonic (still with the neck pickup engaged) and then hits the 5th fret harmonic while quickly switching to position #2.
I bet its sounds clean in person, you also have to add the compression from the smartphone Microphone. because i heard some compression happening when the High volume peak.

to OP, you are missing a little Vibe effects , either with vibe pedal or the vibrato bar

kazukun

Actually, there is plenty dirt in there and it's not as loud as it seems. The bass notes do overload the mic though.

I'll try that, thanks@DHC and rwijaya!

Last edited:

stevel

Yeah the reverb is definitely too much - sometimes it gets overbearing because of the compression in mics but usually that "swells up" in quiet parts and this sounds pretty consistent throughout so I'm thinking it's the amp in this case.

muzishun

I use middle pickup, guitar volume 7. It works best for the harmonics.

Amp set for a little dirt, so it's pretty clean, just a hint of breakup.

Then neck pick for leads, volume up.

Not sure which pup he uses for the funky sounding section. I use middle. But the trick is to pick very close to the bridge, and aggressively

muzishun

Gotta let those chords ring! I mean, the arpeggiated 6 chords. And the double stops need to be there.

Trending Topics