Lentz comes out with a new "S" style guitar, the "Lentz SSL"

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by AJ Love, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

I'm sure all the Lentz owners and devoutees will dig it. Me, I'm not sure. Something just doesn't seem right about it asthetically. I'm just so used to the traditional strat shape that it seems off. In time I'm sure I'd get used to it I suppose. I like his other design much better though. Just my opinion of course. I'm sure they play and sound like a million bucks though.

2. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

It is interesting, the different perspectives that people have of the same thing. My reaction was that it looked like a much less radical departure from the traditional design than his new 2 pickup guitar...

It looks like a bad-ass Strat to me... doesn't matter though, for me personally, as I'm too hardcore into guitars with a Telecaster bridge and bridge pickup, and love the Lentz 2 pickup design...

3. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

:eek: Beautiful guitar......I will be ordering one!!

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

5. Kappy

Kappy Member

Looks like another winner in my book. Not sure if I'm planning to spend that much on a strat any time soon, but if I do, this one will be in the running.

6. whoofnagle

whoofnagle Member

I have never played a lentz or seen one in person, but that is a real smooth looking guitar. I did not care for his first body shape, but something about the ssl one really struck me.

Good job!!

Bill

7. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I really like the contours. It looks like it would meld around your body in a playing position.

Also, maybe it is just the pics, but the body looks deeper (thicker) to me than a traditional Strat. I like that.

8. Zane

Zane Member

I love the deep/sharp cuts Scott does... My "old" S model is the most comfortable guitar I've ever played
    My S is an ash hardtail...I'd love to get an alder w/trem!

9. will132

will132 Member

The more I look the more I like

10. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

yeah that works for me. super cool.

11. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

My first impression was that the SSL looks like a Strat prototype.

12. randy morser

randy morser Member

i played one in Jan through Scott's old Penn and it went straight to the top of my "best strat ever played" list. you guys will love it.

13. T2tele

T2tele Member

I had the opportunity to play that two tone SSL at Scott's shop (and a couple others), in short... his new Lentz Signature design guitars are absolutely killer! The new SSL is really sweet looking in person and it feels so incredibly nice when you pick it up and play it, very resonant and it rings like a bell. Scott always uses primo select woods to build his guitars; this one is no exception, supreme build, finish, tone, feel and vibe!

ItÂ’s nice to see Scott finally introducing his own signature design guitars, Lentz has established himself as a true Master Builder in every sense of the meaning.

The new Lentz design guitars are fantastic and a real bargain, when you see one in person you will wish you already had your order in!!

T2

14. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Pretty cool that he is offering both premium Alder and premium Ash now, too...

Are his Rosewood fingerboards Brazillian Rosewood? I never bothered to ask...

15. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

All I can say after many conversations with Scott about the transition from his old line of T's and S's to his new line... if Scott is releasing the SSL, he believes it is a superior guitar to what he built before.

And that is saying a LOT.

16. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

I'm on the fence on this one. I do not like the aesthetics of his two pickup design, but this one is intriguing. Props to Mr. lentz for pushing the boundaries of guitar design.

17. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

Guys don't call him right now, he needs time to focus on mine, lol :AOK

18. Zane

Zane Member

I don't believe he has a "good" source for Braz/RW right now, & he's not gonna use "stump wood"...

19. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

It's kinda gangly looking, don't you think? For everything that is right about Vinetto's pickguard shape, it's completely wrong on this guitar. I like Scott's guitars as much as the next guy but this is horrid looking. I really like the "T" style he is building right now. To each his own I suppose!

Scott