Lentz HSL incoming! Do you know this guitar?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by willhutch, Feb 16, 2012.

1. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

Hey all...Lentz lovers in particular:

My WTB thread in the emporium has borne fruit. The flame-top HSL pictured below is en route!!!!!! Here is the description from the Lentz Forum:
    "Flame maple veneer top over lightweight swamp ash with vintage style binding and a nitrocellulose lacquer sunburst finish. Scott lacquered and tinted the guard, knobs and switch tip for that warm "vintage" look. The neck is our usual big Lentz profile. Lightweight and resonant with a Indian rosewood fingerboard inlayed with crowns. Lentz B'Kaster pickup in the "treble" position and L-90 in the "rhythm""

This guitar seems to have made quite a splash when introduced. It was built for the Chicago Tone Fest back on '06. According to Mr. Lentz, it was the first HSL to feature the flame-maple top and mahogany veneer sides and back. Scott called it a "monster guitar". He went on to say the top was from a stock of maple that is now gone.

I've scoured the internet to find out everything I could about the axe. Here are some threads in which it is featured:

http://www.lentzguitarforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=144704
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=153891
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=144543

I want to learn the provenance and history of this guitar. Like "Chip", this is a well-traveled instrument. I know when it was made and where it premiered. I know the last two owners. If you know anything about this guitar, please speak up. It would be fun to know where it's been and what it's done in its lifetime.

Of course.....I also welcome any "OMG", "nice guitar" and "PM when you want to sell" comments.

And now, the moment you've been waiting for......PICS!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sixtycycle

sixtycycle Supporting Member

OMG!!! Nice guitar!!! PM me when you want to sell!!! (not kidding btw, I'm not sure if I could cough up the change but...)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  3. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

glad you found one will! and that sure is one to find!! ill bet its a killer, as all of these are..all of the lentz guitars ive played or owned have all hd this signature lentz "thing" that you can only recognize after you have played a few..a familiar "thang", if you will..

also cool to see my boy "chip" mentioned...chip lives with me now and i cant, for the life of me, figure out why it has gone through NINE people before finding its way here. i cant imagine someone parting with chip...and if i traced its history correctly, im the 10th owner. i actually searched for chip after reading the stories about it and i was thrilled and suprised that i was able to buy this guitar... chip is here to stay. magical guitar.

4. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

That's a BEAUTY!!!

5. willhutch

Check out the book matching on the top. It's interesting how the color inverts from dark to light where the two sides meet. Is that typical in book matching?

6. willhutch

I think I played chip when n.j. had it. It was his Lentzes that turned me on to Scott's builds.

It's encouraging that even the greatest guitars get passed hand to hand. The existence of crazies who part with such guitars gives me confidence that my new Lentz isn't unworthy of being a keeper! (not that I am worried about that, really).

Here's an interesting thought: where will these guitars be in, say, 75 years? What shape will they be in? What will they sound like? Most guitars now in existence will be around that long, won't they? It's not like people will throw them in the trash.

7. tylerfreak

tylerfreak Member

oh damnit! thats perfect!...you are free to sell it to me when you decide to pass it along...seriously...

8. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

yeah, its funny when you get a guitar, and its a real killer...the thought always come through...."who in the hell would part with such a sweet, toneful guitar?"

truths are, not everyone can realize the greatness of an instrument when it slaps them in the face. maybe the fit (of the guitar to the player) just doesnt match. some people chase their tails looking for sounds and are never happy. some people run into money problems. the list goes on as to why people sell guitars that are real tone tools.

re: your interesting thought: if these guitars (or any well built guitar for that matter) are taken care of properly, and passed down with all the right info, etc., then there isnt a reason they shouldnt still be around in 75+ years. my question is, will anyone know anything about, or recognize these great guitars (that arent household names, like fender/gibson) in 75+ years?

9. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on a great guitar, it's beautiful. My Lentz hsl is pure magic. You are a lucky man. Play it in good health.

10. suckamc

suckamc Member

You are a grown man now. You're gonna see some changes, and you're probably gonna notice hair where there was no hair before. That's normal for Lentz owners. It's called "tonal maturity".

Oh, and the knobs on that thing are really perfect. What a beauty.

11. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

:spit new sig.

12. willhutch

Heh heh......

Little do you know that I've owned every model of Lentz guitar. I have a pre-lawsuit strat. I'm getting back into an HSL to keep the strat company. Shoot....maybe I'll get a DL90 while I'm at it!

13. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

Congratulations it's beautiful...."OMG", "nice guitar" and "PM when you want to sell"

14. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

crap, you must look like a yeti. man, im sorry.

15. suckamc

suckamc Member

So so so proud to be Pete's new sig.

16. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

seriously man, that was hilarious.

17. willhutch

What you say is true (except for the hair part....which seems to be taking care of itself). My first Lentz was an awakening to what a great sounding guitar is. Before that, I thought I had discovered the best of the best (I won't mention any names like Anderson, Suhr or Melancon). But Scott's work is a step above and beyond in my humble, but informed, opinion.

18. cugel

cugel Member

i would like to "know" that guitar in the biblical sense

19. willhutch

Lordy...I hope you are not one of its previous owners!

I hope prior owners step forward. I'd like to chart this guitar's history.

As an interesting aside. The guy I'm buying this guitar from recently sold the Goldtop L-90 Croyden that I used to own. That guitar went from Texas to Minneapolis to Toronto and is now out East. I think its with its 4th owner.

20. suckamc

suckamc Member

THAT'S a great quote.