Lentz lovers: compare DL-90 to HSL

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by willhutch, Feb 17, 2008.

1. willhutch

willhutch Member

Tell me about the differences between the HSL and DL-90.

I've seen the specs and know how they differ in terms of features. I guess the question is how does the B'kaster pickup differs from the L90 in the bridge. Also, what effect does the tele bridge and the ashtray have on the tone of the HSL?

I own a DL-90, so I have that as a reference point.

2. e-z

e-z Member

I've never played a DL-90 but I own an HSL and that B'Kaster pickup produces the thickest, meatiest tele sounds around. The middle position is great also.

If you are in Los Angeles and want to check out an HSL I can hook you up with mine.

3. willhutch

willhutch Member

So when you switch to the bridge pickup in an HSL, do you get a more aggressive tone? Someone described it as more focused and "gainy", but not necessarily louder.

4. Dillon

Dillon Member

I'm not so good with the guitar adjectives, but the B'Kaster pickup is "all Tele." I have a Lentz T to compare it to and the HSL gets every bit as much a Tele sound...and maybe even a bit more. An HSL in the bridge position will cut through any mix and cover any territory that a Tele bridge pickup will.

The beauty of the HSL is blending the two pickups with the two volume controls. There is a very wide range of useful tones there. The pickups are very nicely balanced, too. No volume drop when the L-90 is engaged, unlike a lot of Tele neck pickups.

The HSL is the "Swiss Army knife" of guitars. While I love Teles, I can't imagine a more versatile instrument that gets you there than the HSL.

5. willhutch

willhutch Member

Thanks Dillon. Appreciate that.

More comments welcome.

6. e-z

e-z Member

Yes. The cool thing with the bridge pickup is to keep it on 6 or 7 then when you roll it up it thickens and overdrives really well.

7. randy morser

randy morser Member

+1 Swiss army knife. It really cover more than any guitar I've ever owned, and does it WELL. It's not like the 16 position-rotoknob night-mares that have 2 useful sounds. It's got the three positions, and a million more in the blending of the pups. My fav funk sound (Scott showed me) is in the middle with the neck turned down to 9 1/2 and the bridge all the way up to 10. The pots are such that the tiniest change in settings makes a difference. I have guitar players come up to me all the time to ask me how I get so many killer tones.