Lentz on TV

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by randy morser, Jul 19, 2006.

1. randy morser

randy morser Member

I was flipping channels tonight and stopped on a show called Rock Star (american idol with rocker judges like jason newstead) when I heard this killer guitar tone in a really slamming rock band. It was the most bitchin' really-dirty neck tone I've heard in a while. I kept waiting to see if I could see what git-fiddle it was and low and behold, it was the Lentz HSL I've been jones for all these months. Dude. That sound was killer. At the end of the song the guy switched over to the bridge and rode the rest of the song out that way using power chords. It as SO nasty and... great. Though the tune was a really overdriven modern rock tune, it didn't have the generic HB sound. That Lentz broadcaster pup was perfect. I've REALLY gotta have one, now. It seemed like a cheesy show, but after hearing that, I'll watch it again to see if I can hear it used again.

Randy

2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

curiosity has me... what's with the "on loan from the U.S. Govt" including that Super 400 in your sig:D?

thx,
    Jon

3. randy morser

randy morser Member

I'm the staff guitar player at the United States Naval Academy. They own all the guitar I use to play for them. I'm expected to play everything from chord-melody standards to country, mo-town, classic rock, heavy modern rock rap, and swing. We play for the college students at the academy, public relations shows, dinner parties for dignitaries that visit the academy, and every thing in between. I use a little of my own gear some times because a lot of mine just sounds better, but there's a lot of great stuff on order!

4. pugsfly

pugsfly Member

Wow! You have a great job there..

I have got to watch this show...

5. moreeye

moreeye Member

I really can understand that people may not like the looks of Scott's guitars by looking at the pics, but if you see one in person, it really has a great look. When I show my gear to some folks who know nothing about guitars, they like the Lentz more than a relic tele, a Gibson 59 reissue and two custom made carved top guitars. I beleive when it comes to guitar designs, we players are very traditional, thats the problem.

6. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...Lentz on TV! Cool.:cool:
    Stick out tongue.:pRockin!:RoCkIn :RoCkIn

7. randy morser

randy morser Member

I know. It's an image thing, I guess. I like the newer styles too, though the look thing is not all that important to me anymore. I love playing my Lentz Tele and having guitar players come out of the wood work and giving me the "eye-of-respect" for the tele that sounds so great. It does sound great, but I think half of the time guys listen with their eyes. That sunburst sure sounds great! Ha ha.

As for the job... it can be great. I'm a CD player, really. Not playing anything I remotely enjoy 90% of the time can be a downer. The uniform tends to suck a lot of the fun out of it too. We are our won roadies and have over 5,000 pounds of gear. The hours can be really crappy and I do a lot of marching with a bass-drum of my belly to boot. That said, I'm twice the player that I was when I took this job five years ago and I love being able to play better. We do have some really fun gigs from time to time and when I actually get to use the chord melody I've worked on for so many years, I really get a lot of satisfaction out of being a better player.

8. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Well Randy, you have great taste in gear. I think the 9/15 is my next amp, and the Lentz HSL is something I'm looking at for my next guitar. Wonder how that combination would sound?

9. randy morser

randy morser Member

Well, the T and the HSL are supposed to have the same or similar pups in the bridge. It REALLY roars. It's got its own unique sound. I love the T with my 9/15. It really smokes. I only use the Fendery sound in it, though. I'm thinking about selling it and getting the 10/20 just because I don't really use the pissed off AC-15 sound a whole lot. I like it, I just never get the chance to use it that way. Though I'd grab a 9/15 combo in a heart beat. Don't ask me why... I just really want one. Haha. Who said gas was rational.

Randy

10. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I am having a hard time deciding between the RSA23 and JRT 9/15. Either way, it'll be a long time before I could afford one.

11. Blauserk

Blauserk Silver Supporting Member

Agreed. Although these tiny photos don't do it justice:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

cool... I know a couple of the guys that played in the AF "Silver Wings" country band &c.... yeah, they enjoyed having a Benedetto they didn't have to buy, among other things.

regards,
    Jon

13. studio8000

studio8000 Member

thats interesting. i watch the show every week and saw both Tuesday night's show and Wednesday night's and i didnt see any Lentz guitars on stage. the closest thing (looks wise) that i saw was a Fender Tele Thinline, Black with Maple neck. i've had many Lentz's so i would totally notice if there was one on the show.

would have been cool though.

14. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I don't understand that at all. I love Scott's new design.

15. randy morser

randy morser Member

Studio:
    It was the last song on wednesday night when the girl in the black skirt sang. She had dark hair with short bangs in front. Some one at work commented on seeing the new Lentz pick guard and wondering what it was, too. It was there... and it was nice... hahaha.

16. studio8000

studio8000 Member

yea, that was Dana.
    and that was the Black Fender Tele Thinline.
    here's a link where you can see the video's again.
    you can pause on the guitar player in the beginning of her song when they zoom in on him and the guitar.

http://rockstar.msn.com/recap/elimination/wk03

i wish it was a lentz, but alas, it was a thinline.

17. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Ya know, I felt the same way but the guitar is starting to grow on me. At first I though it had a cheap Italian or Teisco from the 60's look, but lately I've been warming up to it. I think its the pickguard that I just can't fall in love with. But the more I see them, the more I like them.
    I really need a tele style, as that's the only guitar I don't have. I've had over 10 in the past, but never loved any. My only requisite is that it have a large, fat neck, and be as far away from the necks on the Japan 69 Teles. I've sharpened pencels with a larger feel.
    Does anyone have or know of a Lentz in the Albany NY area I could check out? I promise to be gentile.

18. Zane

Zane Member

yep thinline, did have a good tone though

19. JiMB

JiMB Member

I saw the post and flipped on the tube and saw the tele thinline. He was gettin' some great tone out of it.

Anyone know if Lentz is gonna be at the LA Guitar Show in Pomona 8/4 & 8/5?

20. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

By freeing himself from the limitation of strictly traditional body shapes, I think Scott has managed to come up with a wonderfully functional design. My first thought when I saw the new body was how well balanced and comfortable it looked and by all reports, the reality has lived up to that perception.