Lentz or Anderson cobra?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by catherinef, Feb 20, 2006.

1. catherinef

catherinef Member

I'm trying to decide between customer ordering a Lentz with a b'caster pick-up in the back and a P-90 up front, or going with a cobra that has M1 and M2 pick-ups.

Anyone have experience with either one of these guitars, and if so, please give me your take on it/them.

Thanks in advance for yout time and help.

2. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I had a Hollow Cobra with M1M1M3 pickups and it sounded great. Killer quack tones with middle and bridge pickup and no hum in any position. The build quality was excellent and the top was one of the nicest quilts I've seen. I've never played a Lentz but from what I've read on this forum, they're great playing and sounding guitars. With the pickups you mentioned you would probably get a more vintage tone than the minis.

3. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

What are you trying to get out of the guitar? they are so different.

4. catherinef

catherinef Member

I'm still trying to figure out how these guitars sound--is the Cobra like a super strat with more clarity than a P-90? Basically, I'm looking for a guitar to bridge a full-on humbucker and a single coil.

5. TimH

TimH Member

one thing to be aware of is that M-series pickups DO NOT sound like humbuckers. No way, no how. To me, getting an Atom with two M's and an HB at the bridge would be more of a "bridge" to the SC and HB sounds.

PS - I own a Cobra with 2 HB's....again, this would be a better mix of HB and SC tones although not the strat tones....the tele ones for sure though.

6. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

The Anderson's are definitely halfway between a single coil and humbucker. Fatter than most standard strat pickups but not as fat as a full size humbucker (think early 70s Les Paul with minis). Going by the examples from the Lentz website, the Lentz would probably be just as fat but with a slightly more vintage tone. Both sound great to me, it's just what suits your needs best.

7. GeetarGoul

GeetarGoul Member

Does having a nitrocellulose finish matter?

8. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

They are extremely different instruments, apples and oranges for sure... Among the differences: Lentz Guitars are made with much more attention to detail, have Nitro finish, and more Vintage sounding pickups... Anderson will offer you many more customization options

9. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Lentz Guitars are made in much smaller volumes than Andersons. Lentz often puts in a full week just tweaking the final setup and assembly to get everything right. At the volume that Andersons are put out, there is no chance to get that level of attention to detail on every guitar. There is a difference in the detail on finishing, too. Andersons ARE extremely well made pro guitars, but there is a difference. Apples to Oranges.

10. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

THat is an open debate. I believe (for what it is worth) that a very good (thin thin thin) poly (whatever that means there are so many different polys) will not effect the sound of the guitar. Poorly done, and it becomes an issue. Poorly done Nitro is just as much of an issue. Both of these builders know how to lay a finish, I don't believe it is an issue. I think the scale length is way more of a tonal / feel / playabilty issue than the finish.

cmn

11. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I completely agree. I don't think finish is an issue with either of these guitars. Lentz is known for his flawless finish work, and Tom Anderson does the best looking, hardest, thinnest and best feeling non-laquer finishes out there. The back of a TA neck just feels so right.

If you want more of a vintage vibe, check out the Lentz. If you want vintagey yet modern, check out the Anderson. Build quality is not an issue with a Anderson guitar, regardless of their output (which is actually quite small---the serial number is the date the guitar was made).

12. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I don't mean to imply that I think that there are quality issues whatsoever with Anderson guitars. Anderson guitars are very well made. I just feel that Lentz takes the term "build quality" to a new, obsessive level.

13. John C

John C Supporting Member

catherinef - I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but there is also the scale lenght issue. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Lentz guitars are 25.5" scale and the Anderson Cobra is 24.75" scale. That will also make a difference.

While I will defend the fit, finish and set-up on an Anderson, Suhr or Tyler to anyone, I can also see where AJLove is coming from - Lentz' output is tiny compared to even Tyler. I've never played a Lentz (or a Callaham, DeTemple, etc.), but would have to assume that you would have to go to a builder like them to possibly have any hope of being better than Anderson or Suhr.

By the way, Tom's been on record of keeping his production to right around 800 guitars per year, and I think John is up to that same level. The last numbers I saw on Tyler were in the 150-200 range per year. Isn't Lentz down under 100?

14. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

OBJECTION, SPECULATION!!!

Have you ever bought a new Anderson!?

C'mon AJ, we have been down this road before and your bias for Lentz is noted. Andersons are insanely well set up right out of the factory, better then any guitar I have ever seen. I think tom set a new standard when it comes to attention to detail and I have yet to meet an Anderson owner that would deny that.

15. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Do Anderson's use Stainless Steel frets? That would be another primary difference in the 2 builders.

16. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I bought new Andersons twice before, once in the early 90's and another more recently. Excellent guitars that didn't stick with me.

I do think I'll stay out of Lentz vs XXX threads though, other than to mention what I like about Lentz Guitars...

17. shallbe

Yes, thankfully. A real improvement that some have not grasped. Let me see--they feel smoother, make bending easier, wear longer, sound great (IMO). The sound is the only thing debateable,and I will tell you that with a Suhr and 2 Andersons with stainless, (also owning Gibsons Fenders PRS with std. fretwire), I don't want anything else on a new guitar. I have another Suhr coming soon. :dude

18. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I thought they had Stainless Steel frets, or at least I coulda sworn the last Anderson I owned had them. The Anderson I had back in '93 or so had regular Nickel-Silver frets...

Anyways, yeah, that would be yet another primary difference...

19. randy morser

randy morser Member

The people that have experience with Scott's finishes first hand and have seen the 50's Les Pauls that he doesthat end up selling for 30,000 plus know that Scott is really the best kept secret when people need the BEST finish work around. I have played both Andersons and Lentz guitars. A lot of research went into my Lentz choice. I played a mountain of makers before I went with Lentz. I have to say that if you want a guitar to bridge that gap, the Broadcaster pup with the L-90 will lay you out on the floor. That pup config. has more useful tones than any other 2 pup config I've ever tried. The tone nobs allow you to dial in a huge array of tones that I have never been able to get on other teles. You'll LOVE it.

20. shallbe

Nice guitar. I have had an older Anderson refretted with stainless. I played the guitar for 4 years and really wore into the regular frets. Replaced with stainless and it sounds THE SAME. It just plays SO much better. Literally, nothing about the guitar changed but the frets, and sonically there was no difference. The people that feel stainless changes tone simply have not done this. They have swapped necks for one with stainless frets, or they have made a new guitar with stainless that just happens to turn out bright, and they blame the frets.

I honestly cannot find a negative with stainless and don't know why anyone would go another route when buying or having an expensive guitar built. I can see why the builder may not want to work with the harder material, though. The guys at Anderson do a fabulous refret, and possibly the best fret work in the business.