Lentz Owners: Did you dump your Fenders?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by 55custom, May 24, 2006.

1. 55custom

55custom Member

I'm real curious about this. I started dumping off my Strats some time ago and only have 2 modern Fenders left. My Black 2-P90 Lentz was my first Lentz, and I'm probably going order another Lentz, maybe an S type, or whatever its called now, or maybe something else.
    But, even though I like my 2 remaining Fenders, I'm just not sure how relevant they'll be in comparison to Lentz guitars. I mean its like street car versus race car.
    So what did you guys do? Abandon modern Fenders altogether?

2. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...first, I went through two nice '62 reissues...then a couple of American Standards...on one of those, the truss rod actually popped out! Then I got a '56 Relic...hmm...I started lookin' around for something less thin sounding (bridge pickup)...so I went with 2 different Grosh's...great guitars...I then became interested in the Suhr's...ended up owning three different ones...loved the silent single coil system...really nice sounding guitars.

However, Scott's new models...maybe you've seen a few of my posts.:D
    All the Lentz's I've played have been lightweight, beautifully voiced, very full-sounding instruments...the notes just pop-out and the guitar just sings...everything else is icing.

3. fatback

fatback Member

strats I've owned in the past:

Fender, Beck & Kotzen sig. models
    Suhr, Classic
    Grosh, retro classic
    Callaham S

-------------------------------

strat, (down to just one now,) that I own today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lentz S

:AOK

4. Zane

Zane Member

Yeah, I had several different Fender, including Cs ones (Nocaster's & 56 Strats) ...don't anymore ;^)

5. Ogre

Ogre Member

I dumped my Lentz strat. It was a good guitar, but not great. I still have my Custom Shop relic Strat.(burgundy mist w/ matching headstock)

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Strat I owned in the past: Fender USA Buddy Guy Signature Strat

"Strat" I own today: Reverend Avenger #291

7. Dana

Dana Guest

I dumped my Lentz T for a Cunetto Relic Nocaster. Best choice, for me.

8. Docgab

Docgab Member

I have owned numerous Strats in the past. Currently I have a GVCG S-type, the '61 Triple Burst on the site. It is the best playing and sounding S-type that I have ever owned. BTW- it has Hamel pups.

Any idea how the Lentz guitars compare to Jonathan's?

Not trying to hijack the thread just curious.

9. Dana

Dana Guest

I owned a GVCG briefly. Lentz was better IMO, and the Cunetto beat them both. Again, just my opinion.

10. Don L

Don L Member

To me, it was the opposite...

11. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

In the garage, fixing stuff my kids broke
    When I got my Lentz T, I sold all but 1 Tele, including a fantastic Cunetto Relic and a killer 1-off Masterbuilt. My Lentz S, however, didn't blow what's left of my hair back, though -- as beautiful as that guitar was was. After getting my T, I ordered the S and I sold a really nice 66 Strat, anticipating that I'd love the Lentz S as much as my T. I'm not that much of a Strat player anyway.

12. CS'56

CS'56 Member

I'm also one of those who kept my Fender Strat and sold my Lentz. I almost sold my Strat before the Lentz arrived. I'm glad I didn't. I tried real hard to like my Lentz. The longer I had it the less it was played and it ended up sitting in my closet. In the end it just wasn't for me. That was along time ago and I have no regrets selling it.

I'm not at all trying to say that Fender's are better. I know Lentz makes a fine guitar and puts way more effort into building instruments than Fender.

13. omarxx

omarxx Supporting Member

I sold my 1960 Fender Stratocaster in 2003 as I needed the money and also thought that the Lentz S that I received at the same time would replace it but, I regret selling the Fender. Not only because it's value has about tripled since then but, it was just a way cool guitar. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Lentz but, it can't replace the '60.

14. randy morser

randy morser Member

The custom shop strat and the knopfler just sit there now. i would sell them, but they belong to the navy. my personal lentz T is beyond better.

15. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

Randy...are you in one of the Navy bands...like the Commodores? I used to live near D.C. and wow...the Commodores, the Airmen of Note, the Army Blues...smokin' bands...I took a few lessons from Rick Whitehead, met Steve Abshire, Paul Wingo...you know those guys?

Whatever...Lentz's RULE!