Les Paul 3 pup modifications resource schematics/diagrams?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by imguitardan, Jul 29, 2008.

1. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Looking for unconventional options for my 3 pickup Black Beauty. Prefer either like a vintage strat (toggle between bridge (down), middle (middle), and neck (up)) then push pull for classic LP middle toggle position (bridge and neck at the same time). Three volumes/one tone would be great.

The other I'd like to do (If the 1st isn't an option) is classic LP toggle positions (bridge, neck/bridge, neck) with a push/pull to turn middle pickup on BUT...want the bridge pup alone to be on when toggle is in that position regardless of whether middle pup vol push/pull is on or off. Fun right.

Any ideas?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

here's my idea (scroll down a little). it's a little closer to your second choice, in that the extra switch toggles between neck and middle, and the result goes to the regular gibson 3-way.

you can then get each pickup by itself, have a "normal" two pickup operation if you want, and going to the bridge pickup gives you just the bridge pickup no matter what.

3. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Have you looked at the Frampton Mod?? Standard 3 way toggle.. Three volumes..Middle pickup is wired to third volume pot so you can bring it in with any combination...:BEER
    Or maybe the 6 way toggle that is on the page LP..

4. nagshay1818

nagshay1818 Member

5. FAC

FAC Member

Not sure if this would do what you want, but here is how I have mine wired. It may not seem intuitive, but it works really well for me, and just required the addition of two push-pull pots, so no cosmetic/structural modification to the guitar.

I never use the volumes independently, so I wired it for a master volume and tone.

The pickup selector toggle is wired like a normal 2 pickup Les Paul (Neck, Neck+Bridge, Bridge). It goes to a push-pull pot, then to the master volume/tone. The push-pull acts like a cut switch for the N and B pickups: up is cut, down ("normal") is on.

The middle pickup is wired to another push-pull pot, up is on, down ("normal") is off, then to the master volume/tone.

So, with all the push pulls in their down (normal) position, it acts like a regular 2 pickup Les Paul. This is the config. I use most of the time, so having all the push-pulls down at this point makes sense.

If I want to add the middle pickup at any point, I just pull up its push-pull pot, giving the possibility of N+M, N+M+B, and M+B. I like the N+M and M+B, but rarely use all three at once**.

If I want the middle pickup alone, I flip up the push pull to turn it on, then flip up the other push pull to turn OFF the other two pickups.

Sounds complicated, but the guitar looks stock, and I can get any pickup config. on the fly.

I had the middle pickup on a blender pot setup for a while, and hated it...it was hard to change it accurately on the fly. I acknowledge that there could be more tones on tap if each pickup had its own volume control, for blending options, but I rarely if ever do that, so I don't personally miss it.

**Edit: I have three SD PhatCats in it, so it is not a traditional three HB Black Beauty. I highly recommend them in the SSS, or HSS, or HSH configuration!

6. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Thanks for your help guys. Some of the ideas are pretty cool. What would be most helpful are any wiring diagrams.

7. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

8. Memorex

Memorex Member

On my 3 pickup LP Custom, I floated the ground on the middle pup, wired the outters conventional, and put the middle on its own ON-OFF-ON minitoggle with phasing. It produces the usual plus some fairly strat-like tones, plus the outta-phase funky tones.

9. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

I had a 3 pickup G-400 Epiphone, I had it wired 3 way, varitone with coil taps

what a mess it was inside but you could get a zillion sounds out of it..

:)