Les Paul 50's vs 59/60's neck profile...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by studiojig, Sep 29, 2008.

1. studiojig

studiojig Member

Do the larger profile necks really add sustain and "warmth/fatness" to the guitar? This seems like it could very well be a psychological perception vs. reality, but I really don't know. Has anyone ever conducted an experiment of any kind to determine?

I myself prefer the larger profile neck and am just genuinely curious if that's an additional benefit. There have certainly been a number of folks who seem to think so. What say you all?

2. prakashananda

prakashananda Member

I think you'd have to reneck the same guitar for a real A/B. Ridiculous of course, so this should be a fun thread.

I would love to hear what folks have to say though because one of my fears is shaving down the neck of a killer guitar and killing the tone. I've heard good things from folks who have done this though, and that makes me wonder about how much the neck alone has to do with anything.

Let the games begin...

3. studiojig

studiojig Member

True, though I suppose I was referring to getting two (or more?) of the same issue Les Paul (same year, same everything where possible of course), one with the 50's neck, one with 60's, 59, etc... and running through the same amp, same settings, and so forth. It could be interesting if no one has done it.

Shaving down the neck?? yikes, don't think I could bring myself to do it :)

4. prakashananda

prakashananda Member

I recently went on a hunt for a new guitar and let me tell you they are all very different. Played a bunch of 2007 LP's and they all have their own sound.

5. edward

edward Supporting Member

Hmmm, there are so many variables which comprise a guitar's tone. Afterall, ask anyone who has swapped their bolt-on neck and they'll tell you. So while I can't imagine the tonal diff between 50s/60s would be drastic, I don't think you could completely discount it either. The "problem" is isolating that tonal difference to "only" the neck ...impossible to do on a set-neck guitar.

As for shaving the neck, you better REALLY love that guitar because you risk altering the tone, and then hating it. That said, I doubt the diff would be huge, but some folks "hear" more difference than others ;) Personally, if I love the tone on a guitar, I'd do nothing to it ...leave her be. Heck, even the grime on it adds to the mojo :D

Edward

6. studiojig

studiojig Member

Yeah, I know there are tons of factors dictating sound even in two of the same guitar. I suppose really I'm just curious about the whole "larger neck profiles = greater sustain and fatter tone" bit that I've read so many folks say.

7. whitehall

whitehall Member

I've owned a ton of them, my 2 cents : I had an R7 (04) with the biggest bat of a neck I ever held. It was so big it made the scale seem short. It was nice but I eventually sold it. My R8 had a smaller (but still big) neck and I liked that. I have found the difference between the 50's and 60's profiles to be minimal , although I know it's there. I have an 07 Std. with a 50's that I love. I have a 96 Classic . the slim taper is not as small as some others . I have an 08 SG std. The neck is bigger than my 50 's LP Std in places. The point I'm trying to make is there are a ton of variations to the various profiles. You really have to try them. Although I "perceived " the larger necks to sound different, I would not swear to it.

8. studiojig

studiojig Member

Are the R7 neck profiles C-shaped or do they have a V type profile to them?

9. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I feel like a fatter neck on a strat or tele in combination with a light body adds fatess and has the best tone for me, plugged in or unplugged.

with Les Pauls, I find the depth (richness but not warmth or loss of high end) of the tone increases with increasing neck thickness.

to me this is a rough guide because there are so many variables. But unplugged, my sweeter, fatter LP guitars have been the ones with a fatter neck. YMMV though...

10. Dogwalker

Dogwalker Silver Supporting Member

Didn't Page shave the necks down on his #1 and #2? I thought I read that somewhere...

11. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

Yes, and they were thinnest in the middle!