"Les Paul" advice

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bolivar, Oct 23, 2005.

1. bolivar

bolivar Guest

I want a Les Paul Standard or higher such as Custom etc. but simply can't afford it.
    I don't want the Classic's green inlays and can't afford that model either.
    I don't want a Studio because Les Pauls look wrong without binding. But the good thing is I can afford it.
    I've thought about a Tokai or Epiphone Elitist but couldn't make up my mind. I really dislike the headstock shape on the Elitist. Just looks wrong.

Now I find this.

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/epiphone/lp-custom_lq.htm

Proper headstock shape and the inlay isn't different as on the Tokai Customs. Long neck tennon and all.

Anyone know anything about these or played one?

2. modRod

modRod Member

i do not know this guitar, but if you want a les paul : wait and save your money or buy used.

arndt

3. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Silver Supporting Member

4. yanquii

yanquii Member

5. xroads

xroads Member

I have an Edwards Strat; bought it unseen over the internet for $600.
    IMHO, it is more Strat than a lot of Fender Strats that I have played being
    >$1200. Lots of resonance in the wood, original SD PUs, ESP hardware.
    Highly recommended.

Xroads

6. bryan83

bryan83 Member

I think you should just wait, and save up for the Gibson Standard/Custom. Get some extra hours at work or something but I think you should wait because there is nothing like owning the real thing. And people are going to say Gibsons QC is crappy but all that means is you got to look a bit harder and play more les pauls until you find THE one, but I think that just makes buying a guitar so much funner (is that a word??).

just my $.02

good luck

7. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

8. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Yes, Heritage. There is a nice goldtop in the Emporium for $700. Get it.

9. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

The Edwards and Tokai are very nice and remain true to the originals integrity w/o being an absolute copy. My Tokai Love Rock Special plays as good and feels as good as any LP special I've owned. That said, it has actually made me yearn for my LP's of yesteryear.

10. yanquii

yanquii Member

Heritage is a GREAT choice. I wasnt aware that they were that cheap. But, that headstock!:BITCH

11. Izy

Izy Member

i do not have a Les Paul and i'm in your situation.

But what i'm doing is saving up and waiting for a really good Les Paul to come by.

It maybe a gibson, a edwards, tokai whatever the brand but once it speqks to me when i play it, i'll buy it.

I will not buy a guitar unseen cos' the bought 2 online and they were good but not keepers and i had to let them go at a loss so i thot its better to just save up, play a lot of gibson, tokai and other les pauls to see which one speaks to me.

Saw a Baker recently and it is an amazing guitar but just to expensive so the search continues.

So my advice, save up a lot of $$$, play lots of les pauls and buy the one that speaks to you the most when you play it.

Don't rush

12. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Gotta say, those Edwards do look pretty nice! Especially at around $800 US!

They appear to be very much like a historic, long tenon etc yes?

Have you compared them to any gibsons? Notably Historics?

I don't know whether to be amazed at ESP or angry at gibson if the guitars are equivalent. :(

13. whitehall

whitehall Member

Ishibashi is top notch in my book. I've been buying from Noriko for years. I would take the Tokai over the Epi hands down. The Epi will have no resale value . The Tokai LS90F/L I had was great guitar. I think I paid 850 for it shipped. sold it a year later for 800.

14. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

Just buy a Heritage 150, it's more Gibson then Gibson and I always here the same thing, "that headstock looks like crap" Well maybe it's a little different but if your buying a guitar for the way the headstock looks and not the build quality then maybe you never played a really good guitar.

Just my .02 and yes I own both a heritage and gibson so I can tell you my heritage will run circles around most lp's except for my supreme, now that's one gibson hat is hard to beat.

Sam

15. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

my .002 ???

DONT buy a Les Paul - Buy a ES-335 !!:D

16. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Senior Member

If you have your heart set on a Gibson Les Paul, don't settle for anything less, especially any of the firewood grade copies. Every time you pick it up, you'll feel as though you let yourself down.

People can say what they want about Gibson's quality control. Most of it is pure, unadultered ********. Sure, an instrument or two sneaks by once in a while that needs an adjustment, or a small part replaced, but hey, it's American made, what do you expect.

Find a nice used one, if you have to. Marks Guitar Loft has some really nice, late model Les Pauls for real nice prices.