Les Paul Classic?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by flyroper, Aug 8, 2008.

1. flyroper

flyroper Supporting Member

Can anybody comment on the Les Paul Classic? Based on the pricing, it seems like this model is lower on the food chain than the Standard/Custom. But the published specs - 'hog back, maple top, etc. - seem pretty good. Other than the ceramic pickups, how is this model different than other LP lines? I know the Classic has the 60s neck as well, but can't you get that on a Standard/Custom?

Just looking for some general impressions of the Classic, how it compares to other LP models/lines, etc. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

They're similar to the old Standard's. The inlays are a different and a worse color in my opinion, sort of an off green. Lately they've been getting two piece backs and they weigh a ton. Obviously the pickups are different but that's an easy fix.

Some of the pre-2005'ish models are lighter and have one piece backs. I find them in general to be nicer guitars than the newer models.

3. rrhea

rrhea Member

I had a Goldtop Classic for a little while, but traded up to an awesome R7 Goldtop. I loved my Classic, and really don't think there is any difference in a Classic or a Standard other than inlay color, the dumb "1960" stamped on the pickguard, "Classic" stamped on the truss rod cover and the pickups (which are un-convered and are a hotter, ceramic type).

If you're willing to upgrade the pups and replace the pickguard and truss rod cover you'll pretty much have a Standard. Only people in the know would recognize it as a Classic due to the inlays.

RR

4. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I love my '98. Great tone and sustain. The previous owner installed a '57 Classic in the neck and a '57 Classic+ in the bridge. While I would not necessarily recommend them, they work very well in my guitar and I have no desire to switch them out at this point.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  5. sqadan

sqadan Member

Get a used Classic from the 90's if you can find one... they are inexpensive compared to other Les Pauls... but are fantastic players... I had a LP Classic in honeyburst, took out the awful cermaic magnet pickups and dropped in some '57 classics.... perfect!

6. LPguitarman

LPguitarman Member

I have a Classic Antique. It is the same as the Classic except flamed maple top and better looking inlays (not green). I think the only difference between the Classic and the Standard is only plain tops on the Classic and the pups. I was going to get a Classic until I saw the Classic Antique which I described above for the exact same price as the Classic $2,000. I couldn't believe I was getting a flamed top and better color inlays for the same price, so I jumped on it and haven't looked back since. The chambered body puts out great tone. I love it.:RoCkIn

7. mds

mds Member

I have a 2001 Classic in Black and it is a raging good guitar...mine has a nicely aged looking inlay, not the crazy dark green stuff....every bit as good as a standard, just some different options. I bought mine with covered 57s in it.

Mike

8. Birddog

Birddog Member

I have a Classic Antique Mahogany Top and it is in the same league as my Standard from a QC/build perspective. Amazing tone, too.

I'm very fond of it.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ahab

ahab Member

Nice!

10. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I had one. It's like what could we make out of balsa wood? I know, a Les Paul neck.

11. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

My #1 is a Classic. I swapped the pickups for 57 Calssic+ and 57 Classic's, open coil Zebra's. Sounds and plays great. Mine is in vintage sunburst, which is my favorite finish on LP's.

12. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Lets not forget the neck's are slimmer on the classics then the standards. Although these days I think you could either neck size at least on the standard.

13. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

This is my 2000 Classic Plus from the NAMM show. I completely gutted it- RS kit & WCR's, and it smokes many other LP's I've played. One nice thing is the nickel hardware rather than the chrome I've seen on some standards.
    [​IMG]

14. SebiX

SebiX Member

I owned a ´97 Classic in amber... Once I´ve changed the pickups it´s been a great guitar

15. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I've got a '97 Classic in Sunburst. I bought it used in 2006. The previous owner switched the stock pickups for a Fralin 8k/9k set, and it's everything you want from a vintage Les Paul. I say, if it feels good and plays right, buy it and swap the pickups for anything else that suits you.

16. shawntp

shawntp Member

I have an '03 classic - I love the neck on it more than any other gibson neck. Its just getting broken in well now. It weighs somewhere in the low-mid 9lb range - tons of sustain.

Ceramic pickups are absolute dogs though unless you are going for real high gain. I jumped around different pickups and settled in with WCR Godwood/Darkburst and now with a good setup my LP classic is just an animal. It smokes everything I touch at the shop.

I think strings are a tricky thing to pick with it - Ive finally found bliss with Ernie Ball Hybrid guage (thicker on bottom and thinner on top). It took a while to get it perfect (couple years of tweaking) but with a setup - pickup swap, and different strings I am there.

Honestly I probably would have swapped it but it was a graduation gift from my now wife so I put effort into making it work (Ive always been more of a fender guy).

Now I cherish that les paul even without the sentimental value as a gift - its just killer and off the shelf every bit as good as a LP standard - just with a thinner neck and crap stock pickups.

17. ck00g

ck00g Member

I have a 2004 Classic that I love. I swapped the pups for SD Seths (stock pups really did not fit the bill for me), took off the pickguard and changed the truss rod cover. But, I didn't do it to hide the fact that it's a Classic...just didn't like the those particular things. I love the nickel hard wear. For awhile, the inlays bugged me. Now, I hardly ever think about it, let alone care about it. I wish the neck was a tiny bit thicker, but not a deal breaker. It is a killer guitar and plays amazing. Pardon the group shot, but you can see it below.

[​IMG]

18. Birddog

Birddog Member

I changed the truss rod cover on my Classic pictured above too. I don't know what it is about that "Classic" lettering, but it just looks sloppy as hell to my eye. Too BIG or something. I switched mine for a plain black.

19. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I replaced the truss rod cover on mine too. Yeah, there was a "stigma" about it being a Classic. That's gone now.

20. dtube

dtube Member

Way North of Pittsburgh...no, I don't own a banjo.
    Just picked-up a '91 LP Classic in tranparent red. I have small hands - the slim neck feels great to me. I have a set of WB "Greens" with nickel covers that are going in soon, along with a set of gold/silver reflector knobs. :cool:
    -Darren
    [​IMG]