Les Paul coil splitting question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by uncleshish, Apr 17, 2008.

1. uncleshish

uncleshish Member

I've been pretty much a Strat guy for a long time but thought I might like something a little different.
    I recently picked up a MIJ Tokai LS90Q which sounds great for all of our heavier material but just isn't clean and sweet as I'm used to for our cleaner stuff, seems to always have just a touch of dirtiness to it and very bright.

My question is, would installing a coil tap pot help give me a cleaner sound?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

It would work. But it may make for too thin a sound. What about a parallel switch(s)? Or a phase switch when playing both pickups together?

3. uncleshish

uncleshish Member

Excuse my ignorance, I'm not sure what that would do sound-wise.
    I do know that I don't want to add any switches. I would prefer to go with a push-pull pot to retain the original look of the guitar.

4. planetal

planetal Member

I like the way a split coil humbucker sounds better than when it's wired for parallel, then again everyone is different. Assuming your pickups are 4 wire, Wiring up a split coil is relatively easy and can be done without changing any pots.. If you do a search you'll find an older thread about wiring the tone pot to be both a tone pot AND to select between split and normal humbucker sounds. It works quite well and is very easy to experiment with.

If you think the guitar is already kind of bright.. splitting the coils will make it brighter, but then again you can roll off the volume a bit to darken it for cleans (or just use the tone control). Does your amp clean up well with volume changes? Some amps do and some amps don't.

5. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Well I meant your push/pull (DPDT switch) pot. You can try the coil split mod. I'm just saying it may be a little weaker sounding than a regular single coil. You may like it though.

6. uncleshish

uncleshish Member

I just looked last night and my pickups have only 2 conductors so that may limit what I can do?

7. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Yes. Unless you wanted to add some leads. I've never done it myself.

8. uncleshish

uncleshish Member

I placed a couple wanted ads on here and Harmony Central to see if I might find a 4 conductor replacement with cover. Thanks again for your help.