• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Les Paul connoisseurs: is this authentic?

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
the more I keep looking at the photos - it's fake. Even the tailpiece stud screws. Look at the slots and the shape of them. Wrong.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
Fretboard is too dark - almost looks like ebony. Look at the binding at the end of the board next to the neck pickup ring. It's a mess. Good call on the cutaway horn, it's wrong as well. I don't give a crap about the guy's furniture, he has a fake LP. He may not know it, but based on the price he is asking, he does know it.

Nut is wrong too.

Sorry, to keep posting here, but this fake stuff bugs me.

Last edited:

Raymond Lin

Right....I have changed my mind....I think that is 100% fake.

Compare to mine, look at the position of the knobs in line with the bridge....it's not the same. That one is too low.

xPIA1uI.jpg

Yd4tMOI.jpg

u9YECOe.jpg

p.s. I think mine is authentic :p

XksBIgq.jpg

oF0eQy0.jpg

Last edited:

Johnnytone

Silver Supporting Member
Inlay shape looks like Epiphone to me. But the nibs and the headstock look pretty Gibson-like. Interesting guitar for sure. Just not a real Gibson.

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
There are plenty of experts on the Les Paul-specific forums, so maybe give them a try. I'm not one of them, but a lot of things look right to me. The main thing that would make me wary is the price. I guess it's still possible for someone to not know what they have, but if that's the case it will be gone quickly. The only other things I'd wonder about from the pic are the pickups (they don't look like the same age as that guitar) and what looks like some less-than-perfect binding at the end of the fretboard.

radiolab

Pleeeaaassee update up if you can. My gut is telling me it’s totally a real Gibson. I just want to know if I’m right.

billboneys

Silver Supporting Member
Today, on TGP, comedy hour:

"That seller has a microfiber couch with a nice looking wooden chair and pedestal table on a ceramic tile floor. That makes this person definitely rich. The LP is legit."

:facepalm
I know. I thought someone was being a smarta** like my posts but I'm guessing that's the sign of making it.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
First question is just what model is that supposed to be?
Weird angles in those photos make the dimensions and body shape look off.

talonmm

I tried to overlap them, got the pickups, bridge and stop tail to line up (even using perspective) but the rest are way out of proportions. Really need to see the back of the headstock.

lkojl9B.png

this is a very cool way to compare guitars to check out the body shape!

This one is too close to call for me based on what I can see.

Here's another thing, can The Gear Page be sued over a thread like this? If people here pronounce a guitar a fake, could this site be sued by the seller?
I think I remember this happening to another Gibson oriented forum and now they don't allow opinions about real vs. fake Gibsons.

npappas

Right....I have changed my mind....I think that is 100% fake.

Compare to mine, look at the position of the knobs in line with the bridge....it's not the same. That one is too low.

xPIA1uI.jpg

Yd4tMOI.jpg

u9YECOe.jpg

p.s. I think mine is authentic :p

XksBIgq.jpg

oF0eQy0.jpg
Where are your nibs!?

twoheadedboy

The body shape and top carve definitely look odd to me, but it could just be the photo. The headstock and neck look legit to me.

shadowbox

Gold Supporting Member
Hey all,

This guitar popped up locally, and I'm wondering if it's authentic or not. It's listed for a grand and some change. I just asked the seller for a serial number, but hasn't replied yet.

Help?

The body size and proportions seem off to me.
5104ac20-2c7c-49ae-b697-8533a0a931c0

4902cb4b-bb47-4883-9068-7ba03a3a7858

837ab12c-b184-4a03-ae88-ae3ff0a15e06

47f0a71d-284a-4863-8f8e-e033ee06fab7

6bd39d10-e1be-47e3-8db2-0ebc3e489c9c

Trending Topics

Top Bottom