Les Paul copy longshot?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lennon08, Jan 25, 2008.

1. lennon08

lennon08 Member

OK, looking for a blast from my past. In 1981 I had a Les Paul copy with a mother of pearl butterfly on the headstock. I am looking for one and or info on this. I have found one in a record store in St Pete, FL but the snotty folks would not even entertain the thought of selling it. I am pretty sure it isn't worth much, it's more for sentimental reasons.

Any ideas?

2. tremonti

tremonti Member

They're called Snarly Dutterflys and were sold on the east coast between 1975 and 1980....just kiddin havent a clue. Anyone?

3. lennon08

lennon08 Member

Nice one..........

4. rastus

rastus Member

I remember these guitars. When I was a young kid in the late 70's in Evansville, Indiana there was a pawnshop downtown called Goldman's. May still be there for all I know. They sold new import copy guitars, never really had anything that came out of pawn that was any good that I saw. In that small town there was a piano store that had 2 new Gibsons and a ton of Baldwin Pianos-threr was also a music store that was run by an old jazz dude downtown-he had the goods, but hated kids, he would chase you down the sidewalk just for looking in the window. Later as a teen he took my money for a LP deluxe, but I could tell he hated my guts. So, there was Goldmans and their copies, mostly a brand called Cortez.

The Cortez guitars were cool, mostly Gibson and Fender copies, but they were made of unobtanium as the cheapest of them was a Strat copy at 149.99, with the set neck Gibby copies going better than 200 bucks. I know that most the guys in High School had Either a Cortez-but by that time there was a store in town that had Memphis guitars, as well as Fame by Hondo-there were quite a few of those around.

In Junior High my dad got me a Strad O Lin Lp Custom copy and a Royce amp, don't know where from but I was glad to get it. But after I got a copy of Cheap Trick's Surrender, I lusted for a Sunburst Strat like Nielson had. I saved my lunch money, not eating for a couple months and finally I had the cash for a 59.99 no name Strat at Goldmans, no brand on it. They sold these , a no name Jazz bass copy for 79.99, and at the top of the heap no-name wise, the lovely 89.99 clownburst, plywood, bolt-necked BUTTERFLY LP copy!

I got my strat, it was awful. My best friend wanted a guitar because I had one-he went with us downtown one Saturday, with his lawnmower money and 50 bucks his mom gave him. We returned with a new butterfly Les Paul in a cardboard box, happy as clams.

My buddy never played the guitar, it was not for him, and he lost interest almost before we got home. A month later I traded him a Mongoose bmx bike frame and 2 moxie mag rims for it. Man, was it awful!
    But, it was the same color as Ace Frehly and Jimmy Pages to my young eyes! I learned that there were coils onder the chrome covers of the pickups. Imagine my surprise when I tried to remove them and found a little coil of wire attached with some wax to the cover, it was a single coil, and not a good one! I remember that shiny butterfly on the head though-it was pretty cool looking.
    I traded the Strad O Linn, the butterfly, and my no name Strat, as well as my Royce amp to a friend after I moved to Nashville in my Freshman year for a Honda 550/4. By then I had a LP Deluxe, a blackface Bandmaster and Cab, along with a 58 Tele and Echoplex borrowed from my dad (a pro player). The next year I got my first pro gig, and could leave all that gear at my parents as our management/booking agent supplied all our gear and clothes. It was all Peavey gear, brand new.

5. lennon08

lennon08 Member

Rastus.

That sounds like it. If memory serves me right mine had a neck through body. I could be wrong though. I really just want to want it. I got close that a Japanese company made them but the site I found was all in Japanese.

Great story though!

Thanks for replying.

6. Guitarman3366

Guitarman3366 Member

I have a really nice Cortez LP. Honestly, I have two American fenders and a real Gibson LP, and I play my Cortez 10x as much as all of them.

7. jymellis

jymellis Member

like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jym

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  8. nutinurmacaroni

nutinurmacaroni Member

Dude, I own a guitar that looks super similar to the guitar in the middle. What is the brand name and stuff. I heard it was a harmony. You don't have any possible information do you?

9. Muddslide

Muddslide Member

I have a "Butterfly Inlay" Les Paul copy and I really love it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had one pretty much identical to this one when I was a kid and was happy to find this one on eBay last year.

I did as much research as I could on these and got some conflicting info, but from what I gather these LP copies were made in the Fugijen-Gakki factory in Japan throughout the 1970s.

They seem to have come in three tiers of quality. Some were straight plywood, some have three-piece mahogany backs and a cap that might be maple and the highest quality ones rival the early Ibanez, Greco and Tokai lawsuit Les Pauls with set necks, etc.

THey were marketed and "branded" under a wide variety of names, and sometimes no names at all, just the butterfly.

The one I have is in the middle. Bolt-on neck (which I actually like) but nice wood for the body. The action is great and it plays like butter.

The previous owner did me a solid by replacing the tuners with a set from a 2002 Gibson SG and he also swapped out the nut. Came with a form fitting hardshell case to boot.

I was planning to put in new pups and a new wiring harness (doesn't need it, but just because I like to mod stuff) and do some work on the cosmetics (cream pup rings and pickguard) but unfortunately I'm probably going to have to sell this rather than put money towards it.

10. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

I had one with just the butterfly, no logos or other brandings on it. Got it for $69 from the Sears catalog some time in 1974.
    It was a huge POS and I ended up making a lamp out of it with the toggle switch being the on/off switch, wiring running up the back of the neck, and the bulb/shade replaced the headstock.

11. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Nice in a Jean Shepherd kinda way. I remember the Memphis copies best, and Hondo of course.

12. lennon08

lennon08 Member

Johnnytone, what color was the Sears LP? That is sounds dead on!

13. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

many of the imports had the butterfly.. check out the "memphis" brand as some of them were indeed set necks and not too bad at all.

14. Donovan

Donovan Member

Don't know if this helps but I used to have this Les Paul Custom copy. I bought it at the Crazy Eddies Record Store in the Trumbull Shopping Park in 1978 for $99.

I don't have it anymore because I gave it to a friend in 1986

[​IMG]

I don't remember a butterfly but the headstock looks like the same shape as the others in this thread and the one below (photos from Gravity Music)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

Sunburst, of course.:banana

16. Donovan

Donovan Member

I just bought a Magnum "Butterfly" Les Paul Custom online today from Guitar Center for $139 and thought I would post it here instead of making a new thread.

I think it is pretty much the same guitar as the one I bought in 1978. The headstock shape is the same but this one has the "Butterfly" and a Magnum logo.

[​IMG]

This is the one I bought in 1978

[​IMG]

I wanted to look like Mick Jones,lol

[​IMG]

17. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Here is what I know about them. There were a few of these "Butterfly" guitars
    that came into a pawn shop in New Jersey. The shop was robbed in the middle
    of the night- no visible clues were left.

It was so baffling that a song was written about it.

18. Donovan

Donovan Member

This Magnum doesn't have the Mustache

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  19. Andrew Cagnetta

Andrew Cagnetta Member

I have one. Cherry sunburst. Used it for years. If you want it, I may sell it.

20. Phil Proctor

Phil Proctor Member

Do you still have the cherry sunburst butterfly inlay LP copy, and if so, is it for sale?