Les Paul Custom Lite ques

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by chrisjnyc, Jan 24, 2019.

1. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

I know a lot of LP Customs are weight relieved, but did they make a sub 8 pound LP Custom besides the LP Custom Lite?

2. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

Nope. Not that I've ever seen or heard of but if you find one, let me know...

The early Lite models are worth looking for, not cheap but they are very good guitars. If the neck worked for me I would have owned one a very long time ago.

3. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

I have an '88 Custom Lite that weighs in at a little under 8lb. Really great guitar that doesn't to my ears lose anything of the Les Paul sound, and it's surprisingly comfortable sitting down with the slim body and cutout.

I can't think of any other Custom aimed at being lightweight - the other Gibson model of that era was the Studio Lite, which from memory was full depth but hogged out and filled with Chromite (Gibson's favorite thing for a few years - it was basically balsa wood and got used on several models, usually for centerblocks). So technically not chambered but definitely not a traditional Les Paul!

4. chrisjnyc

Whats wrong with the neck? Isnt it a rounded 50's style?

5. Drew816

Nothing wrong with the neck for MOST people, it's just that 0.82 to 1.05 that's too big a jump for me. I prefer the Gibson "60's Slim" which is 0.80/0.81 to 0.86, that I can work with up to 1 inch is too big for me. AND that's a huge bummer as a LPC in Black is just a cool freakin looking guitar to me, it's a look I lust after. I know, "looks," give me a break but man what can I tell you I just think a Black LPC is just so freakin BOSS man!

I had access to a few really cool examples over the years but the weight always did me in and neck no work for me. The first time I played a late 80's LPC Lite I was so mad, it was SOOOOOO close to what I wanted but just not quite there with the neck. And it's funny, while everyone was gaga over the SuperStrats of the era the LP's sat untouched, until Slash arrived and then...

Cool guitars, I fully agree with @Jayyj that you're not likely to hear any tonal difference with a Lite unless you're playing The Hammersmith! Most people never get to the volume levels where you'd notice IMHO, others may disagree but as I've stated before even if there IS a measurable difference in tone between an "full sized" LPC weighing in at 10.5-12 lbs vs a Lite it doesn't matter because I would never be playing the heavier one anyone, so no difference! ;)

The 2013-15 Lite's are different animals so keep that mind, some don't care for them others don't seem to mind.

Good luck!

Jayyj likes this.
  6. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

I love my Sam Ash '13 Custom Lite. Not quite a huge 50's neck, but sizable enough for me (I like huge necks). Did not get on with the 490/498 pickups, but that wouldn't matter what LP they were in. Got a set of Zhangbuckers and it is one of the best guitars I've ever owned.

I love dit so much, that when I got an opportunity to pick up a Less+ P-90, I couldn't hit the add to cart button fast enough.

Now, these two guitars are two of my favorites in 35+ years of playing.

7. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

I’ve looked. The CS has made chambered LPCs that are very rare and stupid expensive.

2 other options are:

1. an ES-LP black beauty from 2 years ago. I don’t love these but they look the part, and even 3-pickup and Bigsby ones weigh around 7 lbs

2. A LP axcess in black beauty trim, used from the 2000s

FWIW, I gave up on my LPC hunt.

8. Drew816

https://reverb.com/item/17466469-vi...bson-modern-les-paul-custom-axcess-rhino-grey

I'd forgotten about these, but the necks are still too big for me. Bummer too as I'd be all in on an Axcess model right at 8 lbs in Custom format if the neck worked.

And the chambered LPC's like you said are stupid expensive so I never paid much attention there.

When I first saw the two P-90 Lite Goldtops I about fell out of my chair, I was about to sell my kids to get one and then saw the neck wasn't going to work; arrghh!

Me, I'm also a Goldtop fan so I just went with a chambered Classic that weighs right at 8 pounds and has a 60's slim neck; I think that's as close as I'm going to get.

Good luck on your hunt OP!

Bossanova likes this.
  9. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

ESP makes a couple Eclipse II versions with black beauty appointments, thin necks, and 8ish pound weight.

10. chrisjnyc

Do they all have actives? Not really a deal breaker, but a pain to rewire... What is a "thin U" neck?

11. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

Chambered 68 reissue in Pelham Blue. :drool

Bossanova likes this.
  12. chrisjnyc

13. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Not all options have EMG active pickups.

Thin U is slightly narrower and thinner than a Gibson slim taper neck. My hand cramps on a slim taper neck but not on a thin U. The one other thing to bear in mind is most ESPs have jumbo frets.

Edit- See https://reverb.com/item/2884176-esp-eclipse-ii-vibrato-bigsby-black-gold

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

What's wrong with the Studio Lite? I had the MIII version, I remember it having a very nice neck, played great and had a really interesting coil tapped sound. I'd take one again if it came up...

15. chrisjnyc

When was the last time Gibson made the "custom lite?"

16. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

They did a run with ebony fretboards for Japanese dealers that was released right around the time of the Gibson CEO transition which *I think* was the last run of the Custom Lite. The last US/EU run was 2016 (I think) with runs also in 2012? and 2014? (the 2012 run seemed to have been driven by Sam Ash, the later 2 runs by Thomann- my impressions based on who advertised having stock first). The examples of I've seen from all three runs have all had some spotty quality in most examples. Important also to note that the original 80's Lites had a 2 volume / master tone / coil tap toggle control layout. At least one of the 20XX reissue runs was 2 vol /2 tone and at least one was "80's style controls". AMS currently still has stock of a "non-custom appointed" lite with a slim taper neck - https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-LPCT19-HBNH3

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 5:33 PM
  17. chrisjnyc

Any info on those Japanese dealers Lite's? I cant find anything on them...

18. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

There were couple listings on Reverb or Ebay earlier this year...dealers were asking $2500+ for them which puts them toe to toe with vintage prices. Japanese runs tend to be small, so they could be sold out.

Edit- The 2015 Les Paul Less+ is another variant of the Lite...albiet with the 2015 wider neck, metal nut, and robo-tuners.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 2:12 PM