Les Paul Custom Replica

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by consoleb, Apr 5, 2008.

1. consoleb

consoleb Member

I live in San Juan and a man is selling a Les Paul Custom replica from Korea that looks exactly like the real thing. It says Gibson on the head stock, made in the U.S.A. stamped on the back of the headstock with serial numbers and plays and sounds like the real thing. Has anyone come across one of these before? I have owned the original and this is a real replica. Any advice would be helpful. He only wants $500.00.

2. odd.lee

odd.lee Member

Not worth it, all those replicas are made in china.

Do yourself a favor and buy an older Tokai/Burny/Greco/Ibanez/Orville/Navigator lp copy.

3. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Don't support this type of activity.

4. sarge40

sarge40 Member

As odd.lee stated, the Japanese guitars are a much better instrument and can be had at/around that pricepoint (generally higher than that but you might luck out). The Gibson copies are generally Chinese junkers that cost much less than $500 to get from China. I don't know how much exactly, but when you see people selling them for $300, you have to assume it cost much less if they are turning a profit on them.

As Guitar Josh alluded to, buying these junkers emboldens and encourages the manufacturers and importers to make and sell more. Its illegal and immoral (although some would say the same of Gibson pricing ;)).

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

+1.

6. Wally1

Wally1 Member

I saw one of those at the Arlington guitar show last year.....I would run from that as fast as you can!
    Just like the others have said get a Edwards, Tokai, Burny, or Greco, etc....
    The Japanese LP's are much higher quality than those chinese Gibson Knock offs..
    Just my 2 cents..

7. got tone

got tone Member

DO NOT SPEND $500 ON THAT GUITAR! Geez, it's prob worth $50.00. Not even that, I hear they're made outa particle board...and truly a ripoff...

8. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

looks are decieving,they cheaply made terrible guitars.

9. dawn_dew

dawn_dew Member