Les Paul Custom

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jess 1971, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

I'm looking to get a new Gibson Les Paul Custom in black with nickel hardware. I saw a 1968 reissue, but from what I've read the 68s have pretty beefy necks. I was hoping to get the same guitar but with a slimmer 1960s neck profile. Is this possble without having a guitar custom made? Does Gibson make a Les Paul Custom with a slim neck profile?

This is the guitar I want (just with a slim neck profile):

[​IMG]

2. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

You could always go for a 70s or a 70s Ri . Dave's had a 74 RI awhile back although I think it sold.

3. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

Cool. Thanks, guys.

The 70s reissue is the same guitar with a slimmer neck? Do you know any of the other differences?

4. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

There was a Guitar Center run of '68RIs with slim necks but they all have burst finishes.

5. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

That's why they make belt sanders.

6. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

I have a 1970 LPC. The neck is slim, I love it. However it did have very small fretts. They called them "fretless wonders". The jazz guys liked little fretts. I've owned this guitar for over 30 years and played it a lot. A couple of years ago I have it refretted with jumbo's (my favorate). Love it!!!!
    OP keep in mind, the old LPC's had little fretts. If they were played alot you will need a refrett.

7. J Ritt

J Ritt Member

What he said.:aok They're all tri-burst to my knowledge, but they do have slimmer necks and tend to sell at lower prices than the other '68 Custom RI's. Here's one for sale as an example (no affiliation).

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I found that most modern Customs that are not 54'57'68 reissues have slimmer necks.

9. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

I have that same exact 68 RI. FWIW, I like slim necks on all my guitars. The 68RI is a chunky style neck but for some reason it just feels great. Not sure why. All my other guitars are slim necks. Hated the neck on my R8 and had to sell it. Good luck finding one cause there hard to find.

My 2010 68RI - The King of all Les Paul's
    And a Badass Rock Machine :dude

[​IMG]

10. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

Although not new, my 85 looks exactly like that. It came with nickle hardware. I'm not sure how to describe the neck, but if you are willing to consider used you might find one on the bay or CL or reverb.com that suits you. Good luck.

11. gregory347

gregory347 Member

I too own an 85 since new. Love the neck.

12. schwa

schwa Member

I love the LP Custom, it's the guitar I wanted since a teenager. I am lucky to have a nice R7, and it has the unfortunate gold hardware. I often consider changing the hardware out for nickel, but am stopped by the fact that it won't make it sound any better for the effort.

To the question posed in the thread:

Previously, I had a very nice LP Custom (I think it was an '86). It had a slim type neck and the mid 80's Customs are well priced. May consider getting one of those and change out the hardware. I bet you could get a good deal of the investment selling off the gold bits.

I may still change my gold hardware out someday.

13. jujube

jujube Member

Yes. 80s Customs have nice slim necks. I have an 87. Killer sound.