1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Les Paul Custom....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Teh RedWizard, May 19, 2020.

1. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

My needs as a player are pretty simple really, and I of course have a couple other guitars, a Tele, and a JazzMaster with P90s. I want pickups that when backed off kinda get those 'phat', Pearl Jam type cleans, think intro to Faithful, Nothingman etc. thru to say, STP's first record. I'm really not a metal player at all. Primary amp is a Budda Superdrive 30 combo. These are very general guidelines, btw....I'm not in a cover band trying to totally 'nail' these tones, or anything like that.:cool:

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  2. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

If you score a Custom, just keep the stock pickups and try them for a while

Teh RedWizard likes this.
  3. samdjr74

samdjr74 Member

I prefer customs over standards. Right now I have a 54 RI, 57 RI, late 80's LPC lite and a newer LPC modern axcess with a richlite board. The 57 RI is probably the best overall custom regarding sound. Not that the others have anything wrong but it sounds like the OP doesn't want a P90/staple top guitar so the 54 is out and the LPC lite and axcess are great guitars but with their maple tops, they don't have the same vibe as a solid mahogany custom. Mine is from 2000 and it's a great guitar. Over the years the wiring has been modded for more versatility with the middle pickup but other than that it's stock and sounds great, nice balance and a very comfortable neck.

DRS and gaelicsolus like this.
  4. LeftyGtrPlr

LeftyGtrPlr Member

Me three, I have them in my 2002 Lefty LPC. Love those Suhr Aldrich's!

5. gaelicsolus

gaelicsolus Supporting Member

Didn't the '90s Customs come with the super hot ceramic 496R and 500T Gibson pickups?
    I'm in the "I don't need a Les Paul but I like them" club, but after seeing this thread and recently seeing Jerry Cantrell, Peter Klett, and Luna Sea, it all has me kinda gassing for a Custom. I know it will pass but :rolleyes:!

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  6. Teh RedWizard

They came with the 490r/ 498t combo that over time, I enjoyed less and less in my first Custom.

gaelicsolus likes this.
  7. sunking101

sunking101 Member

How do they sound, what's the flavour? Harsh at all?

8. deepcove17

deepcove17 Supporting Member

You hit 2 out or 3....the are all harsh.

9. Teh RedWizard

Oh well....I've got one I'm looking hard at ATM, and if I score it for a good price, will probably install a pair of '57 classics.:cool:

10. monkeybrains

monkeybrains Member

Those 54RI with the staple pickup in the neck call my name every time one pops up for sale

samdjr74, DRS and Omega like this.
  11. sunking101

sunking101 Member

I was enquiring about the Suhr Aldrich pickups...

12. deepcove17

deepcove17 Supporting Member

My bad....

sunking101 likes this.
  13. Baracus

Baracus Member

'68 RI (2014 Japanese run, which is same specs as the US 2015 to current model)
    & '72

[​IMG]

monkeybrains and Teh RedWizard like this.
  14. sunking101

sunking101 Member

Teh RedWizard likes this.
  15. xmusic123

xmusic123 Silver Supporting Member

I have had a ton of success with Gibson models within the '07-'11 range. I dunno why, but all 4 custom shops (LP Custom w/Maple neck, SG 61 Standard, ES 335, LP Special) of them that have come through have been immaculately crafted.