Les Paul DC ???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Robert1950, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

I tried out a used Gibson Les Paul Double Cut. I liked the size and weight. It felt very good. Had a nice acoustic vibe. I found vibratos a little easier to do than a Semi Hollow body with the same gauge strings. I didn't pay too much attention to sound through the amp ( I can't even remember what I used), because I'd change the the standard 490R/498T pups for something more PAFish. I find the one V&T with 3 way very efficient, but I have a Gibson GA-5 LP Jr. amp (5w, 8", volume only) and I've found the 2V/2T good for getting a wide tone range.

Anybody else's experience or opinions on the LP DC would be appreciate here.

2. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

Great guitars, have a great tone and playability plus very light, I had a green one but traded, I still have a DC Pro that is the custom shop with the wider neck.

Only problem is they tend to oxidize the selector switch I think due to the wood chambered that still may be fresh and have problems with the selector besides that, those are great guitars and can be get at a relative cheap price, except maybe the Pro that may value a little more due to the custom shop nature.

3. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

One heads-up: Count the frets.

Les Paul DC Pro has 22 frets, per Gibson's web site.
    Les Paul Std DC Plus has 24, again per Gibson.

Will make a difference in how the neck pup sounds. May or may not be important to you.

Kiwi

4. hemlock

hemlock Guest

I played one for a couple of years and really liked it. Good looking, played great, after I put Burstbucker 2s in, it sounded swell. I sold it when I got my Melancon, though.

5. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Yeah, I noticed. The one I tried was 24, and I favour the neck pup. That's the thing that concerned me.

6. davess23

davess23 Member

Really like my DC. As to the 24 fret thing, it doesn't bother me. You know how people often criticize LP's because the neck pickups sound muddy? The offset due to the 24 frets and the slightly hotter 498 pickup solve this in a way that works for me. I may experiment with some Classic 57's, but just for the hell of it: the stock tone isn't bad.

7. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

I have a DC Studio I bought in 1997. The only problem I've had is the 3 way toggle oxidizing as has already been mentioned. I like the feel and weight. The pickups are fine. The 24 frets don't bother me and I do use the neck pup a lot. I always talk about selling it but I never do...

8. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

I have a set of '57 Classics sitting around - they are actually waiting to go into my MIJ Epi Riviera. Let me know how the experiment goes if you do it.

9. Ponec

Ponec Member

I always liked my LP DC Standard but haven't played it much since switching over to SGs some years ago. Still a great guitar though...

[​IMG]

-Ron

10. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

This is identical to the one I tried out.