Les Paul Deluxe 30th Anniversary switch questions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sixstring531, Jul 18, 2008.

1. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

So I got a new (well, 99, new to me) Les Paul Deluxe 30th Anniversary (minihums) and all sounds great and works well...funny thing though

The switch is backward -- up in the bridge, down is the neck and the lowest volume and tone pots are for the neck and upper pots are for the bridge. Is this the way this model is supposed to be wired? Like I said -- nothing is wrong with the sound -- it's amazing, but I wonder if the switch is just wired backwards?

Anyone know?

2. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

That's very strange. My 71' Deluxe has standard wiring.

3. sixstring531

hmmm......suggestions (other than leaving it alone)?

4. John Ward

John Ward Member

Loosen up the nut holding the switch on, spin the switch around, tighten up the nut. No soldering necessary. Should work.

5. sixstring531

I'm an idiot:jo

hopefully that doesn't screw with the wire tension

6. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

i could be twisted around already, remove the cavity plate and make sure your turning the right way :)

7. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

I'd still like to know if spinning the switch changes the vol and tone. Or did you mean that when the switch is in the "down" position the top vol/tone is activated and when the switch is in the "up" position the bottom vol/tone are activated? If you checked and when the neck pickup is on it is being controlled by the bottom tone and volume then the instrument is wired backwards, otherwise, spinning the switch should correct the issue.

8. sixstring531

Spinning it will do the trick. Right now when its up the bottom pots are active-- so when I rotate the switch to where my current up is the future down, then the bottom pots should still be active. :)

9. sixstring531

So spinning allowed to have down as my bridge but still didn't change the pots to the normal spot. Would this be wired backward at the switch then?

ds

10. John Ward

John Ward Member

My original suggestion to spin the switch was messed up. I reread your original post and it sounds like the pickups are wired to the wrong pots. It is easy to fix but you will have to unsolder the pickups from the volume pots and switch them (and spin the switch back where it was).
    My guess is that the pickups were swapped before you got it, maybe the original ones were put back in, and the wires got switched, it is an easy mistake to make.