Les Paul Deluxe: P-90's without routing?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by loudguitarz, Dec 9, 2005.

1. loudguitarz

loudguitarz Member

Do anyone know if p-90s will fit, without routing, into a 70s deluxe?

Thanks
    Andy

2. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Yep, I did it with my '78 Deluxe with no problems.

3. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Yes, they will drop in, but you have to figure out a way to mount them. I had a 1980 LP 'Pro' (like a cross between a Deluxe and a Custom); I couldn't find any of the little mounting plates Gibby used to use in the bottom of the cavity, so I just mounted P-90s directly to the wood.

--chiba

4. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Absolute drop in but as Chiba said, sometimes mounting can be a pain. The problem I had was my P90's weren't tall enough(pup to string), so I put high density foam in the cavity under the pup to raise it to my tastes.
    Here's a few pics...with mini hums and then with P90's....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Yes, same experience here. You'll need the foam or some other dense material to raise the P90's up a bit. Although this was on a newer Deluxe made in 2004.

-Rich

6. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

A friend had set up my Deluxe P-90's with wooden shims. For some reason I took them out and when I put them back it didn't seem to raise the pickups to the right height. Somebody had mentioned using mousepad foam. I cut it into several strips and I think I made 2 (maybe 3) layers of a thick mousepad and had that as the perfect height. I also found an old wristpad made out of the same foam that's probably right about the right height. If you look at old J-Basses you'll see that foam under those pickups looks about the same!

As far as the mounting bracket goes- The ones I recall had the screw holes to mount them to the guitar body, the outer holes which mounted the mini and there was an inner set of holes to mount P-90s. What I do remember is that it was a royal PITA to get the screw to perfectly line up with the little raised pyramid hole thing...

Inside the Deluxe:
    The inner holes are where P-90s mount, the next holes are for the bracket to mount to the wood and the the bracket would hold the screws for the mini farthest out. The grey "o"s in the center are rubber tubing which had been supporting the pickup.

[​IMG]