1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Les Paul Deluxe retrofit w/ P90s - mini-hum same route?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by kwk13, Sep 14, 2005.

1. kwk13

kwk13 Supporting Member

I have seen a few Les Paul Deluxes that have P90s installed so I was wondeing if the Deluxe mini-humbucker route is the same route as a P90 would use? Would a P90 drop in the mini humbucker route?

Thanks for any info!

2. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Yes. Its an exact fit. :dude

Here's the same guitar.

First with its original mini hums...
    [​IMG][/IMG]

And now with P90's!!!
    [​IMG][/IMG]

3. kwk13

kwk13 Supporting Member

Thanks for the help and awesome looking guitar!

4. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

They mount differently though - mini-hums on the ends, P-90s in the middle. Did you have to do anything to mount the 90s??

--chiba

5. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

The metal mounting strip in the bottom of the cavity is drilled for both screw locations - the only issue is that you may have to drill small holes into the wood under the P90 ones to allow clearance for the screw ends.

That's a really nice-looking Deluxe! They don't usually go as "50s" as that - the finish isn't quite the same, it doesn't normally check quite like that. Is that a very early one? I think all the ones I've seen like that have been '68/'69s...

6. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Thanks John...
    Yup...1970. Its been played hard for almost 36 years now. Its a killer axe.

7. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

According to what John said - and I've never known him to be wrong - you will have to drill two small holes under the mounting bar in the bottom of the pickup cavity, but that's it.

--chiba