les paul deluxe- soapbar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hw2nw, May 12, 2006.

1. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Hey guys. I was searching for LP deluxes (the R6 is way too much $ for me right now), came across the one below. Finally, soapbar LP at a decent price! I read somewhere that the minibucker and p90 are the same size. Is it fairly easy to put p90s in place of a minibucker without a ton of drilling? I think the mounting screws may be in different spots, but I'm not sure. Just wanted some opinions. I may just buy a good deluxe and get the pickup job done.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. BadJaxx

BadJaxx Member

i've gone the opposite way....changing P90s to Mini buckers....
    no routing is necessary...just the mounting screws will be in a different spot...
    there are a few great P90 axes out there....i'd suggest a Hamer Special P90 and challenge anyone for a better production P90 axe other than a PRS McSoapy which i've never tried but HAS to be nice...

3. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Awesome, then it looks like you can do it. I'd go for a p90 guitar but I'm pretty set on a LP.

4. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

It's funny, last week I went to replace the P-90's in my R6 and found a few surprises. I had bought some Vintage Vibes for it, about a month ago, and when my buddy went to put them in, the cavity on the guitar wasn't deep enough, it needed to be routed. So I went to the local guitar shop in Toledo Ohio (where I was in town for a show for a friends wedding) and the only pup we found that would fit was a Duncan Antiquity, not even Rio Grande's or Mini Humbuckers, all needed a little routing. I really dig the Antiquity, so I guess I got lucky.

5. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Is that a Deluxe or a Pro Deluxe? I believe the Pro had an ebony fingerboard. While this site was down I was trolling at Harmony Central forums and found the coolest of cool-a 2001 Les Paul Deluxe in black converted by John O'Connell of Crazy Horse Guitars in Des Moines, into a very credible Neil Young 'Ol Black replica. Thanks to some coaxing from me and Rev David Lee of The River City Rockets, I now own this masterpiece. Go to Harmony central Discussion forums and search under my name Todd Richman-I only have a few posts and one is the thread with pics of the Neil Young I now proudly own. Every one who loves classic rock and blues tones should seriously consider converting a Deluxe into a Neil Replica-not only is it great for CSNY material and Crazy Horse tunes but it smokes with the custom wound neck P-90 and bridge Firebird pickup plus cool extra large Sprague Orange Drop caps and of course the requisite Bigsby. Check it out. John will do more conversions and relatively cheap too. I may get him to redo a Goldtop Deluxe to replicate Neil's back up.

6. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

I played a Deluxe at GC today and freaking fell in love with the mini's instantly....even ran it into a Sodano Avenger for kicks and I'll be damed if it didn't just make that high gainer sing. It gave the tone clarity that may be lacking in full size buckers.....

Hmmmm.....do you think the killer mini bucker tone would be any different in a Strat scale instrument ?

Steve E

7. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I keep hearing about sondanos at GC?

8. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I found a Deluxe at the studio I'm tracking at today. Feels great, what a spectacular guitar. I think I'd still route for the p90s...but the minihums are great. A few told me that it was too brash and tinny for a LP pickup, but I thought it was nice. I played it through a Bad Cat Cub II, really nice "kerrang!"

9. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I had a 2001 LP Deluxe and replaced the minihumbuckers with Fralin P-90s. No routing was necessary but I had a tech make the swap.

10. * velcro-fly *

Keith -

This was a used Avenger / SLO that were trade ins....no new Soldano stuff in GC's.....yet...

Steve E

11. * velcro-fly *

Cool tones. Are they mounted in a pickguard?

Other than the obvious Lollar vs. Duncan comparisons - I wonder what the Duncan Antiquity mini's would sound like?

Thanks for the clippage. :AOK

Steve E

12. erksin

erksin Member

I dig the minis in my '78...

[​IMG]

13. Badger71

Badger71 Member

LP Deluxe=the thick LP sound we crave with the clarity not normally associated with 'bucker equipped guitars. With my minis, I roll down the tone on the bridge pickup about 1/3 (volume up full), and roll the volume down on the neck pickup about 1/2 (tone up full). Awesome full sound.:AOK Plus, mine is the special edition with the 59 neck.

14. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I play my Firebirds through my Dual Rec all the time & they smoke! Never get muddy on ya![​IMG]
    Tony