• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Les Paul Deluxe thoughts?

iowa

Corn fed basement hack
Silver Supporting Member
Hello all,

A local guitar store has an NOS Les Paul deluxe gold top in stock. I believe it's a 2012 or 2013. It has the mini humbuckers and a 50s neck.

I had a chance to play it for a short time yesterday. It's a manageable weight, about 8 1/2 pounds, and plays and sounds good.

Anyone have experience with these? Your input is appreciated.

Dale

I have not owned one. I have played a few. They are nice guitars. I you like the mini buckers and the neck I would go for it. I like 50's necks, but am not so much a fan of the mini buckers for what I like to hear.

goodwater

i recently picked up a Deluxe with mini-hums and was planning on changing the pickups to P90s but wound up really liking the mini-hums

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
I bought one a few years back. I mainly play country/rock type stuff and figured that it would be a perfect change of pace from my Teles and Strats. However, I simply found it to be dull and lifeless. Seriously, my entire band asked me to stop playing it because even they hated the way it sounded. At least with full sized humbuckers you get a bigger tone or with P90s you get some spank, I thought the mini-hums were just a no man's land tone-wise.

mikebat

It's weird, many back to back full size vs mini HB demos I have heard, using the same amp/same settings (plexi type sounds) yielded much less difference than I was expecting. I expected the "volume rolled back for cleaner tones" to be much better with the mini's, and the full size to be much better with the volume controlled rolled up, but.... it was pretty much a dead heat. I was not the player, so maybe the feel was very different...

Whatever difference I heard I felt could be compensated by a touch of EQ, and it's not that one was so much better than the other, just very slightly different. I was expecting a HUGE difference.

AL30

I've got an old Deluxe. It came with P90's - mini-hums were long gone. That guitar is amazing. Not as full sounding as my humbucker equipped Les Paul's but what a beautiful sounding guitar. Much smoother sounding than my LP Custom.

AL

lpdeluxe

I played a '70 Deluxe with mini-humbuckers on it for years. I loved the sound, but it was a boat anchor. Had it been as light as the OP, it would still be here. I replaced the pickups after the bridge one died with Seymour Duncan SM-1s, which sounded just like the originals.

tommc

I had a '75 Deluxe that I bought new and kept for 34 years, more for sentimental reasons than playability. The early '70s models with the pancake body are very heavy. I changed pickups several times over the years. I liked the Vintage Vibe P-90s the best. Finally let it go because it was too heavy for my old back. There are probably some good ones out there, but you really need to play before you buy. IMHO

55GibsonLPJR

They sound great on their own but are very hard to make them work in a full band setting..they seem to get lost in the mix as mentioned.

standard24

I've had two LPD's. I like the lower gain sound of mini hums. They can be a very pretty sounding guitar if you're not into hard rock. (Although Pete Townsend rocked em' pretty vigorously.)

If it plays and sounds good, and the price is right, why not? A PRS Soapbar can be converted to mini-hum if needed.

Marty s Horne

I've had 2 Deluxes with mini-humbuckers, one a goldtop and one cherry sunburst. I liked them a lot...I like the fuller neck shapes and the tone of the pickups. For some reason, the goldtop had a sweeter tone but both guitars sounded and played great. The goldtop was the first year the minis were offered ('70?) and the sunburst one was a '73.

armadillo66

I have a beater Musician Friend clearance center Epiphone 56 Goldtop RI with the heavy mahogany body and block inlays and came with crème P-90's, My friend Lefty in Chicago gave me a set of Seymourized Minis that Seymour himself had given her in the past, they fit in the P90 routs with crème bezels and sound killer. So basically I ended up with a Goldtop Deluxe LP clone. Neck pickup is amazing sounding

Papanate

Anyone have experience with these? Your input is appreciated.
They are fantastic IMHO. The New York Humbucker are the perfect 'in-between'
pickup...bright like a single coil, and no hum like a Humbucker. Crank them
up and they crunch hard and nice. I have a few Deluxes - they all have a
sweet spot that they just start singing to me.

dirk_benedict

Silver Supporting Member
I've had a 2005 and now a 1975. Personally I liked the neck profile better on the 2005 as the '75's is a little on the thin side. But the older one sounds better. IF you like mini-hums and the les paul form factor they are awesome guitars! IF you find yourself wanting it to be a full-on humbucker you will probably be disappointed.

iowa

Corn fed basement hack
Silver Supporting Member
Wow, great response guys. Trying to work a trade deal with them and hopefully I will have it later in the week.

Feel free to keep sharing. I like what I hear.

Trending Topics