1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Les Paul + DRRI + Bass set to 7 = Tube Rattle?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jonlarsen002, May 16, 2011.

1. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

I normally play a Tele with my DRRI, so I haven't noticed any rattling... but I just tried plugging in my les paul, and with the volume on 3 or more and bass on 7 or more, I get some rattle on the low E notes.

Is this just the way it is? Or is there a way to work around this?

2. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

Are you sure it's the tubes? Could it be the cabinet itself, or the speaker? The 250K pots on your Tele and the 500K pots on your Paul [assumptions] may be the reason you notice the rattle - since the more powerful pots are throwing more at your amp.

I had the same issue with my Clark 5e3 amp - Strat, no probs. SG? Rattle. It was the cab's back plate on the amp chassis that I had to 'pad'. Rattle gone.

3. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Might just be me, but, my DRRI speaker seems to flub out when the bass is set that high(if thats what you call rattle), if you turn down the bass to 5-5.5 does it go away, and do you still have good bass response?

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    7 on the bass is a bit extreme for humbuckers through a relatively low powered amp. Try it at 5.

Why are tubes the first suspects when there are 450 other possible causes...including 400 things in the room you're playing in? ;)

5. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

les paul + drri + bass on 7 = MUD!!!!!.lol...you got bigger problems than tube rattle...you got absence of high end...;)

My DRRI has had minor tube rattle in the past...usually solved by moving it away from the wall