Les Paul Faded juniors and specials limited run!!Anyone got any info??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by riffpowers, May 13, 2006.

1. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I've been browsing the web for les paul specials and found a uk shop selling a limited run of les paul faded juinors and specials.They're different to the normal ones, they've got wrapovers, I'm really really tempted to get one, anyone have any info??
    BTW heres some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 69mojostrat

69mojostrat Member

man which shop is selling these, I dig the white one.

3. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Anyone like the fadeds??Opinion seems divided...

4. rekoj

rekoj Member

those are some mighty fine guitars!

which shop is selling them ?

cheers

5. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I'm a strat guy, but I really dig those. I like the all the colors, but would probably choose a red one if buying. Love the vintage vibe.

6. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I recently bought a LP Special Faded Doublecut, and I love it. Good QC and setup and it plays wonderfully. The sound of P90s is unique and snarly - great for blues and rock. I'd say go for it, though I do not care for the worn spots on the faded finish - like you see on the TV yellow junior.

7. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Hi Doug, I was hoping you'd chime in!!
    How do you find the faded finsih and the faded guitars in general??Does the finish look ok??How does the finish affect the feel playability and sound fo the guitar??

8. Rich

Rich Member

Dont know about these, but the fadeds I came across a while back all sucked, IMO. Cheap yeah-- and for a reason.

Never even plugged in because the finish was so bad. Open pores & grainy-- bad enough on the body but the necks felt like crap. Waiting for splinters to happen (ok, thats an exaggeration but you get the idea).

I dont know where Gibby got off calling them faded. They were basically just poorly sanded, unfilled and unfinished guitars as far as I was concerned. The concept of a "worn" finish is perfectly ok-- can look very cool. But the execution was a joke. You get what you pay for.

Maybe this later run is different.

9. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I love my faded DC. They are definately hit or miss, and I picked this one out of 5 or 6. Huge bang for the buck. Stays in tune perfectly, and the stock P90s sound great. I actually like the finish. It starts to feel like a nice worn in old guitar very quickly, and the thin finish lets these guitars really resonate.

10. WordMan

WordMan Member

+1 - owned one for over a year and got rid of it - the P-90 simply didn't have a good, resonant guitar body to team up with and do its thing.

Those photos - is it just me or do the bodies seem quite thin and the edges a bit too squared off? I think of Specials and Jrs. as being thicker with more rounded edges...

Love the concept - but have not be pleased with execution...

11. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

So who is selling these? What is the price... "aroundish"? I like the look of them minus the finish. It's a shame they are faded.

12. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

OH MY GOD! DOUBLECUT WRAP TAILS!

hallelujah!

It's good that you guys can't see me frothing at the mouth over here.

13. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

C'mon Riffpowers,

Spill the beans... where they from? I'm visiting England this week and wouldn't mind checking them out if they are somewhere close by.

14. MrSage

MrSage Member

Found 'em.

(the power of Google!)

:AOK

http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/

15. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

The bodies do look rather thin... but aren't these "price point" Gibsons? I could almost be tempted if it had a normal finish and a tortoise guard.

16. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Been ringing round today, it looks like these have been brought in from the USA , as the distributor doesn't stock them.
    And yes they do look like they've got thin bodies...........

The search goes on.........

17. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Great! Thanks Mr.Sage!

Pretty expensive though! Normal fadeds aren't that expensive. That's a bit too expensive for me considering what you are getting.

18. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Exactly, that fits with my USA theory.

19. BigDoug1053

The finish on my LPS is fine - no "raw" spots - and for a basic rocker, I think it looks good. I think it is important to go and play the guitars if you can - up close you can judge for yourself if the finish imperfections are OK, and of course, whether the guitar speaks to you. The faded finish has a nice workingman's sort of look and feel which is exactly why I bought it. Finish on the neck is nice - not sticky after several hours of playing. Sound? Could not say as I have not A/B'ed older specials with glossy finishes. It does sound GREAT through, and is comparable to what I remember about my old SG Special with P90s.

20. BigDoug1053