• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Les Paul fret marker coming out Help!

theHoss

Howdy,

I have a LPR8 and the fret marker on the 3rd fret is coming out. It isn't really affecting anything but if it gets any worse it will be a problem. Will a luthier by able to fix it? Is there something I should do to prevent it in the future. I live in CO so it is pretty dry, do you guys use in case humidifiers for your electrics. Should I put fret oil on more regularly? Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
Howdy,

I have a LPR8 and the fret marker on the 3rd fret is coming out. It isn't really affecting anything but if it gets any worse it will be a problem. Will a luthier by able to fix it? Is there something I should do to prevent it in the future. I live in CO so it is pretty dry, do you guys use in case humidifiers for your electrics. Should I put fret oil on more regularly? Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Hey Hoss -

I'd bet it's just that there wasn't enough glue to hold it down in the first place. Any luthier worth a salt will be able to handle the repair. If' you're handy with cabinetry, you could probably do it yourself. If you're in a dry part of Colorado, probably the fretboard dried a little and broke the glue away.

Don't worry, it's an easy fix. The luthier will probably take the fret marker all the way out, clean out the old glue, check the tolerances , and re-glue the marker. It's almost certainly a pretty straight ahead repair. The only prevent is to re-glue it. Fingerboard oil is one issue, loose fret markers are a separate issue. Don't let the guitar get too hot - that'll melt the glue a little and let that fret marker get loose again.

Take it to a shop that does authorized Gibson repair - they'll fix it right up. You only have to put oil on your fretboard a couple times a year in normal conditions. Unless you let the guitar get really hot, this probably isn't something you did, it probably wasn't glued in right to begin with.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

Mr.Hanky

Had that problem with my R7, has to do with shrinkage or some sheet.

My repair guy fixed it up with glue and a clamp, no biggie.

scottlr

Are you talking about the trapezoid inlay? Or the fret marker dot on the side of the neck? Sounds more like the inlay from your description. If it is loose, I'd think oiling the board might make it worse, since the oil will get under the loose inlay.

theHoss

Are you talking about the trapezoid inlay? Or the fret marker dot on the side of the neck? Sounds more like the inlay from your description. If it is loose, I'd think oiling the board might make it worse, since the oil will get under the loose inlay.
Good question. Yep the inlay. I agree about the oil. Thanks again, I really appreciate the feedback.

theHoss

I just wanted to follow up. Thanks for all the info you guys provided. I ended up taking it to Wildwood guitars and thier luthier repaired it under warranty. Great group of guys to work with, I am gald I got my guitar their.

Thanks again!

Trending Topics