Les Paul Goodness.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Birddog, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Birddog

Birddog Member

Evening everybody. For most of my gigging I've been a Strat, Fat Strat and Showmaster (Fender's answer to the Les Paul) guy. My first guitar, when I was 13 years old however, was a Les Paul. It was a late 70's or early 80's Epiphone. This past year, I've been jonesing for an LP. When the Vintage Mahogany caught my eye, it's all I could think about. I played 5 and they all sounded great. VM LP's are wonderful instruments. I also researched extensively about how to put an oil finish on them so my sweaty self didn't end up putting a slightly more disgusting oil finish of my own on them without even trying. But I got thinking: If I'm gonna hand over a large chunk of change, I don't want to have to START things out by refinishing. So I looked at the higher end Epiphones. I am an Epi fan but, sorry, not this time. Then a wine-red Gibson Studio at GC caught my eye. Fresh out of the box. No pick scratches. No belt-buckle dings that plagued the VM's more delicate finish, and a nice hard finish that will withstand gig-sweat. I looked at it. Then I played it. Over the next 3 days, I looked at it and played it every day. It sounds brighter than the VM, but side by side they're very close in tone. The best I can describe it is that the VM sounds like the Studio with the tone knobs rolled back to 6 or 7. Not better or worse, just uniquely different. And the maple top is very subtly grained and surprisingly well matched. I really like the finish, too.

Tuesday, it came home with me, and I can't put it down. I know, I've heard that much better guitars are out there for the price, but it's something I've been wanting since I was 13 and first started playing. And now I'm forty, I got one, and it was SO worth the wait. I was going to give it a breaking in period, but hell...I'm gigging with it this
    Saturday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One happy Strat guy who has been overcome with LP goodness,

2. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

That looks very nice.

Welcome to the LP club.

If you like the guitar that's all that counts.

:munch

3. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

20 years ago I had a wine red Studio back when they only had dot inlays on the neck. I only had it for a couple of years before I stupidly pawned it.

Now I have a nice 2000 Classic that I just love but I've found myself GASsing for another Studio. The ones today have some beautiful finishes on them and there's something about the "no-frills" look of the Studio that really appeals to me.

Lovely guitar!

4. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

Congratulations on a good choice, nice looking LP!

I love my '92 Studio.

[​IMG]

5. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Congrats!!! I pulled mine out for the first time in months the other day and just thought..."Yup...she's still got that attitude."

[​IMG]

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on the new axe (last month, I myself went with a VM)!

7. Birddog

Birddog Member

Thanks Jon. I saw your pics on my VM thread. Very nice!

8. echale3

echale3 Member

Congrats!!! I too started playing when I was 13, but my first guitar was a Zenon, that looked something akin to a Mustang. I always lusted after a real Les Paul, but never seemed to get around to buying one. At the time, a nice used LP was only about $300 or so. Fast forward to when I was 42, and I bought an Epi LP... Played it a bit, then last year, at 43, I finally bit the bullet and purchased a used VM.... My dream finally came to fruition... I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.

Isn't it nice to finally be able to make your own dream come true?

9. BobboVisMe

BobboVisMe Member

Very nice !!

10. Birddog

Birddog Member

Yeah...it certainly is. And there's more to it than that. My beloved grandmother passed away recently at the age of 89 after an outstanding, distinguished and full life. The money she left me went toward this which makes it even more cherished. She wasn't musical, but talented in other ways. One of the first big purchases she made in her life was a piano for my mother, and her lifelong contribution and support of all of our musicianship will -- and has -- carried on now to our kids, her great grandchildren who had the great, rare pleasure to know and love their great grandmother. This guitar will always be special.

I'm gigging with it tonight. ;)

Thank you!

11. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

My first real Lester was a wine red 89 model with the ebony board. God I wish I still had that guitar! As you buy others- try to keep your first. You usually regret selling it later. Gongrats on your purchase. Sounds like you made the right choice for you. Now-go forth and rock...

12. JLee

JLee Member

Gorgeous guitar! Love how the grain comes through.

13. SOcular

SOcular Member

Grew up in South Georgia, live in Atlanta now, but
    :BEERI just bought the same guitar today. I played four or so before I found the one that I couldn't leave the store without. I love it; I'm a diehard tele fan, but it's great to have the "anti-tele" to totally change the way you think about playing.

14. kselbee

kselbee Member

I've got the white studio with the ebony board and love it. It used to be my #1 but my back just can't take it any more so I don't play it as often but still love it and every time I plug it in I'm surprised at how good it sounds.

15. Birddog

Birddog Member

Photos, as promised. Countless compliments on sound, and on the guitar. It was a good night. :AOK

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

That red Studio is simply, in a word: stunning. If it sounds half as good as it looks, you are set. I have an Epi LP, and lately I've been thinking about upgrading to a Studio.

17. Birddog

Birddog Member

It sounds twice as good as it looks. :RoCkIn

18. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

Rub it in why don't cha!
    :)

19. frankencat

frankencat Lex Luthier Gold Supporting Member

20. mrgoldtop

mrgoldtop Member

very nice looking studio!