Les Paul guitar shopping suggestions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nsriley, Jan 2, 2006.

1. nsriley

nsriley Member

Well, over a couple years or so period I've sold off all my Gibson Les Pauls. Ranging from Classic, to Studios, to Historics, to Norlin Standards. I know, foolish, but everytime I bought one I really didn't have the money and would just keep running up my CC debt etc. Anyways, I have a beautiful Carvin CT6 that keeps me happy. But I already miss the Les Paul's.

My resolution this year an for ever is to only buy gear I can afford...meaning I have that extra cash to spend in the bank, not on credit etc. Well also over the years I've found it foolish to spend over $1000 on any guitar, because you can get very sweet guitars for under that. My idea is to get another Les Paul at some point down the road, but keep the price under $1000. It doesn't have to say Gibson on the headstock and here are some ideas I have, but though with all the opinions and knowledge you all could lend some ideas too.

Gibson Les Paul Mahogany (studio)
    Used Gibson Les Paul Studio
    Edwards Les Paul
    Tokai Les Paul
    ESP EC-1000 (les paul looking one)
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Elite ot Ultra

So what are your all thoughts? Thanks in advance

-Peace
    -Nate

2. dorianblade

dorianblade Member

I would go with Gibson, the studio and
    faded
    will be great for you. you might even find a used standard or classic for
    lil
    over 1k.

One word of advise, if you're on a budget never buy new gear, always used. that way if you'll need to sell them down the road, you won't lose your money. good luck.

3. Wally1

Wally1 Member

In the sub $1000 price range my vote goes for the Epiphone Elitist series Les Paul Standard. They are getting hard to find though. The Standard has been discontinued but MF was blowing the out for 699.00 a while back. They are really good guitars for the $. The attention to detail is awesome, and they have good quality woods. The bodies are not weight relieved either. I've been very impressed with these. The stock pickups sound really good too.[​IMG]

4. Wally1

Wally1 Member

Here's the back:
    [​IMG]

5. dfarrar

dfarrar Silver Supporting Member

Check out the Burny's and the Greco's as well. The better models are the ones made in Japan. The best way to detect their origin is to look for binding on the frets and two hole (as opposed to three) truss rod covers.
    The Burny VH-1 pickups are excellent paf copies. Very punchy and focused, not really favoring any frequency. Good luck!

6. nsriley

nsriley Member

Thanks for your suggestions so far folks!!! I appreciate it! That Epi looks really nice! Keep 'em coming!

-peace
    -Nate

7. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Not trying to patronize you but honestly save up six hundred more and get a Gibson Les Paul. Personally, I like 01 and older models. they changed them in 02, and I simply like them the way they were. For 1750 or so you can get a brand new one from dealers like Ccity or E M Short. I do not like the classics as they varry tremendously from guitar to guitar. Before I got an off brand lp body I would take $900 and get a SG Standard. Best guitar for the money on the market today.

8. Heliman

Heliman Member

A definite +1! :BEER

[​IMG]

The only change from stock is that I have added a lightweight tailpiece. I can't hear any difference but it gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling. :eek:

My guess is that you will start to see more and more of them on eBay when those that bought them on speculation start to offer them for sale.

9. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Hey Nate! I swear, we are cut of the same cloth! I've been heading down this same road myself. :BEER

I have a severe jones right now for the Vintage Mahogany Studio. I like the Guitar Center brown version over the MF cherry one myself. I've heard that GC will price match the $849 w/case, no tax MF price if you show them the ad. :AOK

10. nsriley

nsriley Member

Yeah your right man.....we tend to always be in the same boat when it comes to gear! LOL! :BluesBros That Vintage Mahogany Studio is very tasty and I've hear great things about them.

-Peace
    -Nate

11. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

"only buy gear I can afford"

What fun is that?

Get a new CC with 0% interest for 6 months, buy what you like and pay it off over time. If the world lived by that motto, there would be very few homeowners, car owners, etc.

12. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

Nate, you've already had one of the prettiest R8s I've ever seen. It's all downhill from there, I'm afraid.

I like the Heritages, but wouldn't pass on a good playing LP Studio.

13. nsriley

nsriley Member

Man I sold that LP a while back . :( I am Les Paul less at the moment. :( But will own another LP in the future! Hence this thread!

-Peace
    -Nate

14. bailnout

bailnout Member

IMO, the best "Les Paul" under a G is the Heritage H150 on used market. Some go for over a thousand, some for WAY over a thousand, but you can find plenty for under and they really are a great guitar. I favor my Class of '59 over the three Gibsons I own.

Off your list though, I like the Studio. I own a '94 Studio with a SD '59 in the bridge, DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the neck, Tone Pros and Sperzel hardware. Even after the mods I have just under a grand in it and it's one hell of a working-man's axe.

Good luck on your quest. The fun is in the hunt and by placing boundaries on it you make it even more fun. Once you find what you are looking for, post so the rest of us on a budget can see what a deal you got!!! :)