• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Les Paul guitars are not the hammer of Thor....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chul Kim

This is my first solid body guitar!!!!

You know what? I've been always playing Semi-hollows in my whole life, and I was curious whether those Les Pauls were actually heavy as much as how people describe...

So I bought this Les Paul, and it's my first solid body guitar.

So, how do I feel about the weight?

Come on people... Just get a grip!!!

Phil3

You know what? I've been always playing Semi-hollows in my whole life, and I was curious whether those Les Pauls were actually heavy as much as how people describe...

Well, it might not be as easy for an older player to hold, even if it isn't heavy for you. I think age has a lot to do with the complaints about weight. Cool guitar though. Happy new gear day!

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
I always like when someone states something based only on their circumstances totally oblivious that everyone is not like them and after back surgery and arthritis of my cervical spine it’s a smart to seek out a lighter guitar that does essentially the same thing . Working over 25 years in the building trades played a part as well.

Gibson started weight relief and chambering for a reason.

dazco

I'm old and don't find weight an issue on my body....i just prefer light guitars. I just like that feel. 7 Lbs or less is my prefernce but i go heavier for the right guitar. Won't go over 8 *usually* tho, i just don't like the feel of a boat anchor around my neck. Not that it hurts or anything, i just don't like the feel. My #1 is 7.5 and i don't care because it's one of if not my fav guitar ever. If it were 8 or maybe close to 9 i'd probably just deal with it because it's fantastic. But some guitars have a certain great mojo that makes you wanna play them more, and that for me happens a lot easier with light ones.

rwijaya

I would think, modern Les paul nowadays is very light. they used to weigh at 13 lbs back in the Norlin era. so a 9.5 lbs Les paul is light compares to the 13 lbs less paul.

mlj_gear

Umm... That's not actually a Les Paul, so...

'63-Strat

I don't really notice the weight unless it's a long gig. By the end you start to notice it if we're talking 2hr+ straight or 3-4 sets kinda deal. For a 30-40 minute type typical rock gig? Then no, it's a non issue IMO. But I don't have any health issues. Many basses are just as heavy so ymmv.

Rhythm Rocker

I always like when someone states something based only on their circumstances totally oblivious that everyone is not like them and after back surgery and arthritis of my cervical spine it’s a smart to seek out a lighter guitar that does essentially the same thing. Working over 25 years in the building trades played a part as well. Gibson started weight relief and chambering for a reason.
Agreed. Quoted for emphasis.

Hudman_1

My 2019 Les Paul Standard (non weight relief) is 9 lbs 5 oz. it’s noticeably heavier than all of my other guitars but I don’t consider it to be heavy in general terms. In fairness, I’m also a fitness fanatic with no back, neck or shoulder problems. I emphasize with the folks dealing with those types of issues.

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
My 2019 Les Paul Standard (non weight relief) is 9 lbs 5 oz. it’s noticeably heavier than all of my other guitars but I don’t consider it to be heavy in general terms. In fairness, I’m also a fitness fanatic with no back, neck or shoulder problems. I emphasize with the folks dealing with those types of issues.
I wouldn’t consider that heavy, more like average. My last LP I sold was almost 12 lbs. I did end up getting a Tribute that weighs in at a shade under 8. For double humbucker it’s my SG and 335 anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics