Les Paul gurus...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AaeCee, Jan 10, 2006.

1. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I have a R8 LP, sn# 8 1758 (2001). It's a butterscotch flame top, with 57 PAFs. Anyone know how I can establish whether it has a Brazilian board? I know they were using them around that time, but switched soon thereafter. Some have commented that it looks like Brazilian, but I have no positive ID either way. I seem to remember reading here on GP that the sn# holds the answer. Thanks! AC

2. Heliman

Heliman Member

If I were a wagering man, I would bet that it is not Brazilian.
    Here is a program that might help you:
    http://www.guitarpool.com/docs/misc/brazilian-check.shtml
    (When I enter your serial number it comes back as not being Brazilian)

Go here and you might find out for sure from the CS forum Admin:
    http://www.gibsoncustom.com/cgi-bin/toast.asp?sub=show&action=topics&fid=14

The only Brazilian I am confident about is on the Historics produced between January 1, 2003 and May 31, 2003.

3. matte

matte Senior Member

I had a 2001 Brazilian R8 that was slated to be part of the Murphy run. The serial doesn't tell you ****. I know for a fact that Gibson would often throw Brazilian on guitars without marking them thus. More than one Korina Flying V went out ot the GCS like that.

4. doublea

doublea Member

Yes, it is true there were a few Brazilian boards in 2001. The best way to be sure is contact Gibson, give them your serial and they should be able to tell you.

5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Thanks, guys. If I can't get a definite answer through your suggestions, it's just not to be had. AC

6. matte

matte Senior Member

Got a good camera? How about access to a seasoned luthier? Any old school luthier worth their salt could tell by the smell. The Madagasscar Rosewood that Gibson started using in 2001 shares a number a visual characteristics with Brazilian Rosewood. Mike Stevens was using it years ago. He calls it Kingswood. I love the feel of it.

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Thanks Matte. Yeah, my luthier (Phil Jacoby) has mentioned that he can smell the difference. What always scared me though, was when he said "by giving it a little scratch, I can conjure up the scent". Now, Phil's a pro's pro, and would never think of committing a lick of cosmetic blasphemy on any guitar...but still, that "scratch" thing always worried me. I mean, this is one of my children we're talking about! ;) AC PS...regardless of what rosewood it is, it has heavenly feel and tone.

8. matte

matte Senior Member

Phil has a great rep. I'd trust him. He could sand it out.

9. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Member

I beleive there was a run of 50 R9s in 2001 with Brazilian fretboards. They all had serious looking tops and were priced much higher than regular R9s.