Les Paul Historics: Limited Runs or Regular Releases?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jay K, May 2, 2015.

1. Jay K

Jay K Member

Recently, I have picked up a couple of Les Paul Historic Reissues. Although I haven't sold a guitar in years, when I pay that kind of money I would like to maximize the chance that if I ever do find myself in a position where I have to sell the guitars, I won't take a bath, or maybe even make some money (particularly those purchased used at favorable prices).

In the process of picking the guitars I wanted to consider, I pretty much ignored those that were "limited releases" or "special runs" commissioned by particular guitar stores. I did this on the theory they would be less apt to hold their value. However, I suppose the other side of this coin (of which I am skeptical) is because there are fewer of them, they could become more collectable and therefore valuable.

So I'm wondering what others think about the limited or special runs that are commissioned by particular guitar stores. Ignore them, or perhaps consider them even more valuable than the regular models?

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Ignore them.

3. ixnay

ixnay Member

It is almost impossible to predict. As with the limited run regular USA models, there are some that will appreciate and others that you won't be able to give away.

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have a Music Machine 'Stinger' Les Paul. Has a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard (in fact the wood pull by Edwin Wilson, was exceptionally close to the originals from the late 50s). But it was there when I got it in 2003. The Tone of Stingers is well documented and they all fetch a premium. The aged Murphy editions are very nice, I have heard the CC series is exceptional too. Tap-tuned guitars generally sound better than their 'stock' counterparts, although anything out of the Custom Shop could hardly be referred to as a 'stock instrument'. Play as many as you can, and remember you don't pick the guitar, the guitar picks you.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  5. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I like this quote!

6. sws1

sws1 Member

No rule of thumb. Depends on the "limited release". Most of those are just hype. Having said that, some do fetch a premium.

I had one of the 55 Duane Allman models that were release in mid-2000s. Not the most recent Duane. Sold it for a 50% profit a year or 2 later.

Have had other special editions that have dropped just like a non special edition.

7. Flugel

Flugel Member

Ask your broker.LOL

Seriously I don't know in the USA but in my country Spain it's harder to sell special and expensive models than regular ones.One thing I've noticed is that people tend to demand typical colours say HCS...which I don't like except in a Hummingbird.

8. Bluesdaddy

Bluesdaddy Member

I like things that are a little unique so I'll usually go for something a little different not worrying about the value. I have a limited run Canadian edition R8 that came with a bottle of maple syrup which is very cool. And two burst R4's that are a little rare .

9. kracdown

kracdown Custom User Title Gold Supporting Member

Special Run Historics often go up in value...

Personally, I've never seen them sink below normal market price of their equivalent reissue- often higher depending on the run. Examples: the Stingers, Wildwood Historics, '55 Hot Mods